Bleeders and First Aid

There are a number of terms around, such as weepers, nicks... errr... well that's two, anyway. Bleeders might or might not be such a term. And I don't know if there are official definitions, but by a bleeder I mean an actual blade cut (straight or DE) that starts running with blood and messing up your shave. You know, the sort of thing where you can't wipe your face because it'll go all over the towel, and you have to do something because the blood is about to drip off the end of your chin.

Like the one I got just now. Right at the end of my shave, Merkur razor that I know quite well, momentary lapse in concentration, blood everywhere.

My question - what do you do about it?

Me, I ended up with that bane of all shavers, the piece of toilet paper stuck to my chin. Styptic wouldn't touch it. Alum wouldn't touch it. What would you do?

A "weeper" to me means more of an abrasive cut, shallow with out too much penetration. Easily abated with cold water rinses and alum.
If you've nicked yourself properly cold as mentioned is a natural vasoconstrictor; that is, it will make blood vessels constrict or narrow. This process will decrease the amount of blood going into the field of the cut.
Then there are medicines like adrenaline (epinephrine) used in low concentration topically to decrease blood flow, and newer agents such as avitene and thrombin.

Bog paper will probably do though.

cheese_dave said:
There are a number of terms around, such as weepers, nicks... errr... well that's two, anyway. Bleeders might or might not be such a term. And I don't know if there are official definitions, but by a bleeder I mean an actual blade cut (straight or DE) that starts running with blood and messing up your shave. You know, the sort of thing where you can't wipe your face because it'll go all over the towel, and you have to do something because the blood is about to drip off the end of your chin.

Like the one I got just now. Right at the end of my shave, Merkur razor that I know quite well, momentary lapse in concentration, blood everywhere.

My question - what do you do about it?

Me, I ended up with that bane of all shavers, the piece of toilet paper stuck to my chin. Styptic wouldn't touch it. Alum wouldn't touch it. What would you do?

Ive started using styptic matches,they sting like hell but they work.

Dave.

Well I don't have much of a problem. I have a genetic predisposition towards blood clotting, inherited from both parents.

On the down side, I'm much more likely to suffer from a DVT.
On the up side I don't bleed for long.

I had a hefty cut on the 1st shave when I decapitated an ingrown hair. A wetted styptic pencil and a rub in of the liquid and it was stopped.

I took the top of a spot off not long ago. That thing bled for ages, just kept weeping.
Id keep going with it.
Wipe over it with a finger before lathering up that area so no blood on brush. Shave that area last, blood runs slower with the lather on i found.
At the end lots of cold water then alum. And if its still going abit of bog paper on. I find it doesnt need long on, not sure if its the alum that does that or what but a little bit of bog paper on and it soon stops.

Bog paper?

I just let em bleed, and treat em liberally with the alum block once ready shaving; i.e. cold water, alum, dry with towel, alum once again. Then an ASB with allantoin (not sure that that really helps though).

joe mcclaine said:
Are people shaving while riding on the Waltzers and in the dark to get these slashes and gashes?

Don't stand so close to the razor when shaving.

No more blood.
Ah right, lights ON, I'll try that.

Anyway, I thought you left?

The only time I get cut is when I've lost concentration, and usually just as I'm putting razor to skin.

Lights on, but not n the waltzers, it's the dodgems for me.

Ian

I have when aiming for my top lip, missed and inserted the blade into a nostril. They heal up ok though.
If styptic doesn't work..... Stitches?

A small tin of vaseline handy, or a soft lip balm to seal over a proper cut.

I know it sounds daft, and I'm not being funny, but taking care not to cut yourself in the first place is the best thing. Still, these things happen now and then.

Flatfish said:
I have when aiming for my top lip, missed and inserted the blade into a nostril. They heal up ok though.
If styptic doesn't work..... Stitches?

Sounds like you close your eyes after aiming from several feet away :lol:

Back
Top Bottom