blades

+1 what everyone's said. 38C is a long 34C, both are amazing. Feathers are very very sharp, go for something milder (Super Iridium or Red Personna). Bin the Merkur blades. And be patient.

The Merkur 38C is an excellent razor but it must be used with a light touch - as little pressure as possible. Easy, smooth short strokes. The best blades for me in my Merkur which are widely available are red personna.

The first alternative razor I would recommend is a Jagger. This is reasonably priced. It is not as aggressive as the Merkur but gives an excellent close shave and feels comfortable in use.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.theenglishshavingcompany.com/cgi-bin/psProdDet.cgi/DE87db5||@cTraditional%20safety%20&%20double%20edge%20razors@bEdwin%20Jagger|0|user||15|" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.theenglishshavingcompany.com ... |user||15|</a><!-- m -->

Hi JimmieM, I'm not suggesting that there's anything "wrong" with a 38c, just that it's not the most forgiving of razors if you're still working on technique. Mainly because of the length of handle I believe. Longer the handle and further down the length you grasp it the greater the chance of getting the angle of blade to skin wrong. Also because it is a solid razor you don't really need any pressure applied, the razor will do the work for you.

Keep going m8.

JohnnyO.

will have a shave later today as ive got some new blades 7 oclocks yellows gonna see what they are like just ordered the personnas too

Jimmy I use hair conditioner as well before shaving but I rub a pea sized amount over my wet face just before I apply the lather. It's there to moisturise and provide lubrication to the blade not for washing in case thats what you're doing. Leave it on. Main thing is to take your time. I found the first few times I used a DE razor it took me at least 20 mins to shave. I thereafter tried to use a DE like a Mach 3 and just zip over my face and cut it to pieces. Try Red Personna blades or Crystals which are generally milder to use for a newbie. Tescos own are Israeli Personnas so if nothing else try them.

Back
Top Bottom