blades

right i am new to shaving and i have tried asda own,merkur,feathers,trigs,and i just got 100 7o clock cheap

asda own ok but all the others cut my face to shreads

can any tell me as iam new is it my tecnequice or is it the blades

I would tend to think its teqnique first blade i tried was a feather and cut myself well into double digits. Turned out not blade but i was applying to muh pressure, less is really more in de shaving just the weight of razor. But would stay away for the merkurs as not heard much good about them

For me its been about 60% technique 30% Blade 10% razor. I wouldn't expect any blade to cut my face to shreds but some leave me with a smoother shave or less irritation.

I'd certainly recommend Red Personnas and Crystal IP's as a must try also Wilkinson sword blades are quite easy to come by and I find them reasonable.

have a shower use in shower a conditioner on face
come out leave brush in hotish water 2mins
us tabac soap in a cup and then apply to face for a ferther 1 min or so
them wet me 38c and start side burns first
i find unmy jaw bone hard as i have a thin face
and neck area

I would normally soak a brush a bit longer, would do you rate your lather. It actually makes a big diffrence. try holding razor half way up razor as long handle. neck is hard cant use weight of razor and takes a bit of practice just go lightly. I also find trumpers skin food a good pre shave ymmv

I would agree with pedro in that the lather is a key component of a good shave. If right, it should offer you enough cushioning and protection to prevent a lot of nicks. If you haven't already, look at the videos on here about soap and cream lathering. Is the quality of your lather comparable to that on the videos?

Most people hate the merkurs and the feathers are regarded as being the sharpest and only useable once you have your technique sorted.

What technique are you using ? have you watched mantic's videos on youtube ?
Trying too hard to get a perfect shave was the main problem I had , things really improved once I forgot about trying to get a perfect shave and just keep it light and comfortable. Also after shave balms/alum/witch hazel/styptic pencil, some or all of these will help to repair problems. just my tuppence.

I've never tried the Tabac, but according to forums and reviews it's about as good as it gets, quality wise. When I first started with a DE I made the mistake of not whipping up a thick enough lather, which of course provided little cushioning, and caused irritation. Try a pre shave treatment, to moisturise the skin and increase elasticity. And keep pressure to an absolute minimum. :shave

jimmyman said:
have a shower use in shower a conditioner on face

I would rinse my face in the shower - no soap, no shampoo, no conditioner, don't dry it when I get out either... give it a top up rinse with hot water before you soap up on it with the Tabac too.

Round the jawbone... you can generally pull the skin (either with your hand, or by gurning at the mirror) so it's not actually over the "corner" of your jaw so you can shave it flat.

Neck - I generally only do a WTG stroke, again pulling so I don't have to go over the lump of my adam's apple.

Hi JimmyM,

I'd agree with the general consensus that a Feather probs may not be the best blade whilst you are still expirimenting with technique. Use too much pressure with one of theses bad boys & your face will finish up a red ruin. You may at this stage find that you get a richer & creamier lather by going with a shaving cream rather than a soap. Creams I've had success with over the past years include Trumpers, St Charles and Edwin Jagger. Just don't worry too much just now about "across or against the grain". As you find out which way the beard grows in around the face and neck areas let the razor do the work. After all, short of a surgical scalpel, the blade you are scraping over your top dermal layer is probably the keenest edge you'll ever handle. And the razor you are using probably isn't the easiest or most forgiving to learn with. I used a long handled Merkur slant with Feathers for many years, but I've been shaving for over half a century & started off with an old corroded 3 piece Gillette in my early teens.

Best of luck with sorting everything out M8 & plse keep us posted as to progress.

Keep the Faith. :cool:

JohnnyO.

Back
Top Bottom