Blade Stash - How many is unhealthy?

At a rough count I now have just shy of 1000 DE blades, working on 3 days a blade (some do more, some do less) thats just over 8 years of shaving.

So how does this compare to everyone else and is it a bit unhealthy to keep looking at pages and pages of DE blades on eVilbay.

I cant decide which is my favourite blade either. Its a 3 way at the mo between

Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellows
Gillette Thai Super Thins
Gillette Bleue Extras

Feathers of course are nice, but I cant justify the price premium. Anything more than £10 for 100 blades is too much to pay.

Even as a new starter to DE shaving I've managed to get quite a stash already :roll: I've put everything in a drawer and it seems like they're breeding :!:

working on 3 shaves per blade @ 10 blades per month I've six months worth already :!:

mind you they'll last even longer if this razor doesn't turn up soon :roll:

joe mcclaine said:
Having more of anything than you could possibly use in a life-time would be a bit unhealthy but you don't appear to have anywhere near enough.

Of course, there is the possiblity that a DE shaver with 25,000 blades might decide to go the straight razor route - in which case his stash becomes a bit of an 'issue'.

I'm happy enough buying stuff as and when I need it (or adding it to the wife's shopping list) - I also realise I'm almost certainly alone in this . . . on here anyway.

You are just far too sensible Vinny. Where would the world be if more were like you?

just under 4000 blades for me, Gillette Platinum "Swedes" Gillette Bleue Extras all NOS and of course my lovely cheap as chips Supermax Blades...being so cheap it's a new one every shave, yeah i know not eco friendly, not clever, oh but the luxury of it :D :lol:

I do have a lot of blades but I don't get tied up in "how many" nor aim for a given maximum or minimum figure. I just buy some blades when I see ones I like at a good price, some I then trade or sell on and some I keep.

joe mcclaine said:
moodymick said:
You are just far too sensible Vinny. Where would the world be if more were like you?

It would be boring, so very, very boring.

:D

Rubbish! We'd all be off our heads on Brasso and Um Bongo.

Imagine that!

It doesn't really matter about the number of blades you have, but you have got it wrong if:

a) You run out before you die

b) You die before you run out

Ian

I seem to go in phases. Started this de lark about april 2009 with just derby, israeli shaving shack and feathers. Quite happy with a small stash of about 200 blades combined but something happened early september and i started getting into all aspects of it, especially the blades. I have about 1800 spread across as many brands and product lines as possible. I'm not after the perfect blade, i'm just after trying them all!
But having bought quite a lot of stuff recently i'm instituting a blade ban till march, when I'll treat myself to a few i haven't tried before.

sunburyboy93 said:
just under 4000 blades for me, Gillette Platinum "Swedes" Gillette Bleue Extras all NOS and of course my lovely cheap as chips Supermax Blades...being so cheap it's a new one every shave, yeah i know not eco friendly, not clever, oh but the luxury of it :D :lol:

Au contraire Steve, you're helping the economy & the ecology no end ; you use possibly the easiest of all shaving products to reclaim & recycle in a DE blade, you assist in providing paying jobs in the production and reclaiming of the blades & in the retailing of them.

In fact, not for the first time, I think you're an absolute star M8 !

JohnnyO. ;)

sunburyboy93 said:
and of course my lovely cheap as chips Supermax Blades...being so cheap it's a new one every shave, yeah i know not eco friendly, not clever, oh but the luxury of it :D :lol:

Same here - they just wont do more than 1 shave, not unless I want to spend all day trying to rip my chin off with the irritation.

Father Ted said:
At a rough count I now have just shy of 1000 DE blades, working on 3 days a blade (some do more, some do less) thats just over 8 years of shaving.

So how does this compare to everyone else and is it a bit unhealthy to keep looking at pages and pages of DE blades on eVilbay.

I cant decide which is my favourite blade either. Its a 3 way at the mo between

Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellows
Gillette Thai Super Thins
Gillette Bleue Extras

Feathers of course are nice, but I cant justify the price premium. Anything more than £10 for 100 blades is too much to pay.

Any amount less than the number of blades in MY stash is probably a bit of a health risk... I think I might have just gone over the 1000 count with the 100 Rapira Super Stainless that finally got here from Turkey.

Narrowed down to 3?

Wow.

I have about 15 or 16 I bulk bought (50 to 100 usually) thinking I had narrowed them down a great deal...
    • nertz.[/list:u][/list:u]
              • ah, well ... must be nearly my shave time.
                  • :shave [/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u]

Hiya,

I loaded up on Iridiums before they became almost extinct and have maybe 3-4 years worth of blades if I used em every day. I also have 30-40 vintage Gillette blades made in the UK, plus maybe 40 NOS Schick Platinum Plus blades. Then there's the couple old packs of vintage Wilkinsons. Heh, I also have 100 Crystals at the moment, which are a gift for my daughter. She's been using a DE for a year now with great success. I have maybe 30 Feathers as well.

Of course I still have the stash of 72 NOS Personna injector blades from back in those days before I started DE shaving. I bought a bunch of those full boxes (12 dispensers of 6 blades each) 5 years ago on ebay for a good price. I even sold a few boxes to Giovanni because he liked em as well. That was a pretty lucky find.

Jeez, I'm sure there's more blades laying around the arsenal, but the above ones are what floated to the surface without much thought.

Martin

Back
Top Bottom