Blade sample pack order of use.

Hi All

I have just bought my 1st setup which arrived Monday but as i'm seconded to another site in Cardiff during the week i have not managed to check it all until tonight :D (its like xmas)

I'm at my normal place of work in Manchester tomorrow so will wait until tomorrow night to try my 1st ever real shave!

I have purchased the merkur 34C and a sample pack of blades from Conna**** as well as other goodies and samples i was just wondering if their is a set order in which i should try the blades also how long does a blade normally last and is it wise to use the full sample pack before moving on to the next blade?

Which pack did you get if it's the popular sample pack then

Derby
Personna
Crystal
Astra
Gillette
Super iridium
Feathers

A blade lasts around 3-5 shaves sometimes more, you'll know when it needs replacing.

If you have Derbys in your pack then it's a good neutral blade to start with. Should get 3 to 6 shaves out of each blade, depending on blade and your facial hair. You know when to change as you will feel it tug on the hairs.

Feathers are sharpest - and with that can be scary in some razors, I use one in my Gillette SS but am too scared to try one in my Futur.

Go through one blade of each pack. Choose your favorites and then go through those packs again. Repeat until you find your favorite(s).

If any you really don't like then get them PIF's or swapped out with others for other blades / stuff.

Welcome to the brave old world and good luck :D

Ah... can't beat that initial excitement!

For the best advice from any and everyone, you'll have to let us know which brands you have got in your sampler.

As for how long you should give blades? personally i used 2-4 blades from each pack to shave for a week, before moving on to the next flavour. rational was i didn't want to bin a brand due to 1 duff blade and also give myself a fair few shaves (i shave twice a day) to get a handle on the blade.

that's just what i did, may or may not work for you.

do make sure though you keep your prep, soap/cream & razor the same to ensure that the difference in shaves is purely down to the blade, not another factor.

so, good luck, keep the faith and keep us informed how you are getting along :p

Only other peoples set order jonty, try them in whatever order you like, in fact make a point of not following any recommendations to start with. Not saying any of the above recommendations and order of preference would be much different from my own but.

Try a different make of blade for a week and make a note on each for performance, that’s half the fun. (Well was for me).

When you’ve narrowed your choice down to say 2 or 3 different types, stock up and then start following other members of like minded sharp metal usage’s recommendations and findings.

Happy shaving fella. :shave

P.S, Just stock up with Super Iridium's :lol:

Thanks guys

The blades i have are:
Merkur blade that came with razor
WilkinsonSword
Treet Platinum
Gillette 7o'clock
Astra super platinum
Iridium super
Personna platinum
Derby extra
Feather

You need to take that Merkur that came with the razor, stick it in a food processor, mince it, throw it in the bin, burn the bin, sell your house, and move to Istanbul. I hate those blades.

And the Derbies too, ugh. I should buy a pack and put them in the back garden with a brick on them like I did with my printer.

Attachments

• bad printer.JPG
    360 bytes · Views: 234
You should take one of each blade, take the wrappers off and place them in a bag. Shake it up, pop your hand in and grab a blade.

Shave away with your choice until it is spent.

Continue this approach until you have tried all the blades. This method teaches a real appreciation for DE blades in the shortest time possible.

jontymo said:
Thanks guys

The blades i have are:
Merkur blade that came with razor
WilkinsonSword
Treet Platinum
Gillette 7o'clock
Astra super platinum
Iridium super
Personna platinum
Derby extra
Feather

As your trying to find the right blade just bin the blade after 3 uses whatever, you can worry about longevity when you've decided on a few brands. I would also leave the Iridiums and Feathers till last, they are the sharpest and you might not need or like that however by the time you get to them your technique would or should have improved sufficiently.

As you are in the experimentation phase keep a note/diary of how things went, it's nerdish but useful.

Back
Top Bottom