Blade reviews

There's a fairly comprehensive blade review on another shave site somewhere which includes microscopic pictures of the blade edge, ratings and reviews of many blades. By Shylock I think, and the forum has blue & white colour scheme.

I can't for TLG remember what or where it is.

Ah...found it.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.shavemyface.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=29705" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.shavemyface.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=29705</a><!-- m -->

Yes, Squire's blade reviews are very comprehensive, but obviously his conclusions are based upon how the blades worked for him.

He rates Derbys higher than Swedes, for instance. :shock:

Ian

IanM said:
Yes, Squire's blade reviews are very comprehensive, but obviously his conclusions are based upon how the blades worked for him.

He rates Derbys higher than Swedes, for instance. :shock:

Ian

When I found these reviews I thought I'd found someone who had taken an objective, scientific approach to the differences between blades.
But he hasn't. Like you say, his reviews are just a bit less subjective than everyone elses.

I'd like to see a double blind test of different blades with a statistically significant sample of people to see if the differences between blades that people claim they can feel show in a test. The closest I can get is to try different blades without any expectations trying to minimise as many other variables as possible. Which isn't close at all!

The only thing I can say with 100% certainty where blades are concerned is this - Laser blades, as sold in Wilkinsons, are possibly the very worst shaving product ever sold anywhere on the planet.

joe mcclaine said:
The only thing I can say with 100% certainty where blades are concerned is this - Laser blades, as sold in Wilkinsons, are possibly the very worst shaving product ever sold anywhere on the planet.
I think I have some of those to try! I wonder if my mileage..... :roll:

joe mcclaine said:

But, dear boy, you're forgetting Dorco.

Feathers are the only blade I can tell apart from anything else. They are really sharp, and I don't get any pulling or tugging like I do with varying degrees with pretty much every other blade.

Following waaaay back, are Iridiums, which are ok, a bit behind those are Gillette Yellows. Trailing way back are IPs, Crystals, Super Thins and possibly everything else. Derbys are so far behind even those I don't know how people can use them. I can't be bothered to try blades any more as Feathers work so well for me. :mrgreen:

John

joe mcclaine said:

Balaka carbon are the worst blade available, I think they may even be uncoated.

Back
Top Bottom