Blade Disposal

Some blades come in a plastic box with room to put old blades to the back. Many blades come in cardboard boxes with no way safely to dispose of used blades.

Baking powder and bicarbonate of soda often come in just the right size plastic tub. I cut a slot in the lid with a Stanley knife, and tape the lid on. It provides a very safe sharps disposal container.

Clever idea Labarum. Normally I have one or two of the plastic Wilkinson blade banks in stock and just keep cramming blades in until no more will fit, but I had an incident about a fortnight ago when my son left a loose blade on top of the blade bank in the bathroom cabinet (just above eye level). I lifted it to put a used blade in and the one he had left fell off the top. Not realising what it was I made a grab for it and lifted a slice out of my pinkie. Must give your idea a try, it'll be lot safer :)

I have a nice jam jar with a classic look and a cool name: Wilkin & Son. Kind of like Wilkinson Sword and therefore appropriate to fill with WS razor blades.

In the 90's we had an old 1930's bungalow. The bathroom had the original features including a small, decorated slot in the wall. Asked my old man what it was. Could not believe it when he told me it was for putting used DE blades in for disposal. They simply fell into the cavity. He said this was considered quite 'posh' Later on had some work done on the bathroom, yeah! right enough, loads of old blades in the cavity. The younger workers were as astonished as me. Pretty ingenious though.
PS
One of my earliest memories is being in the Barras / Paddy's market area of Glasgow with my dad and seeing what I can only describe as 'gentlemen of the road' running used DE blades around an old jar to sharpen them, then putting them back in paper to sell on. Guess what they were using to seal the paper around the blades? Their own blood! :eek: Yup, gave themselves a nick on the finger, dabbed the paper and voila! Health and safety anyone?

Russell

i'm just filling an old jar but when it's full i'll take it to work as there's a proper sharps bin in the locker room for this very thing

hando said:
i'm just filling an old jar but when it's full i'll take it to work as there's a proper sharps bin in the locker room for this very thing

That's OK if you have no young children living in or visiting the house.

Then, if young children visit the house, cut a slot in the top and tape the lid on.

All it takes is one absent minded moment - little fingers get into everything.

You would never forgive yourself.

And, of course new blades should be under lock and key.

I went to the 99p store and got one of those tin can savings banks, a disney cars one :oops: but it was either that or a pink girlie one. They need to be opened with a can opener so quite safe and will hold hundreds of blades.

rangers62 said:
earliest memories is being in the Barras / Paddy's market area of Glasgow with my dad and seeing what I can only describe as 'gentlemen of the road' running used DE blades around an old jar to sharpen them, then putting them back in paper to sell on. Guess what they were using to seal the paper around the blades? Their own blood! :eek: Yup, gave themselves a nick on the finger, dabbed the paper and voila! Health and safety anyone?

Good Heavens, they breed tough people in Glasgow!!!! Even Rab C Nesbitt would be too soft for that.

I've never heard of second hand blades, but as I boy can remember razor blades be sold singly by barber shops and corner shops.

Weekly pay - weekly budget.

Hi Chaps
The 'Gentlemen of the road' I was referring to probably posed no health problems. I think the amount of meths in the bloodstream would have sorted all the contagious blighters out. People always think Glasgow is a tough town, compared to London, Liverpool & Manchester we are softies, apart from the gangs, knives, sectarian problems and the fact that you have got more chance of being murdered here than anywhere else in Western Europe it's all gold.
Oh! I have spent a few Saturday nights in English market towns, Nasty, very very nasty.

Back
Top Bottom