Blackland Vector opinions.

Hi,
I have been looking at the Blackland Vector for my next possible purchase, having never used anything from Blackland I would like to ask if anyone has any opinions about the razor good and bad?
I just want to try and gauge if I want to spend my hard earned on it and next question Titanium or Steel?
Cheers
Mark.

Lots of people love it. I tried it twice and sold it on both times… prefer the Stando rod which is a bit milder. Found it too aggressive. If I still had it I might’ve tried the lite plate that was just released.

I did a lot of reading about it and the consensus seems to be the stainless is better than the titanium - but someone who has tried both might give a more informed opinion…

I love the Vector. With a Feather ProGuard it gives me BBS shaves every time I use it. I have no experience with the titanium as I only have the stainless version. I can only recommend this razor.

I moved mine on as I found it too aggressive for daily shaving. It always gave the closest of shaves but found it too much for 3-4 days in a row. It’s beautifully made and I think the lite might work for me but I prefer the Oren and Stando Rod.

I have the Razorock hawk V3 and it's a good option for daily shaves and lacks a bit of efficiency. After reading that Vector is a bit aggressive and that my friend told me the same I had a suspicion that it would be aggressive for me too. I spent almost a month exclusively shaving with it daily and to my surprise it wasn't that aggressive and found it really good for daily shave. I've been using it with Schick proline, Feather ProGuard and professional. It does require a bit of awareness but never failed to deliver smooth and close shave. Now I'm intrigued with brass Shield razor as I have read that it is even better shaver than the vector and also abovementioned Stando Rod.

So today has been great for me but not for my affliction of RAD.
I have now acquired a Blackland Vector as well as a Stando rod and a Yaqi Excalibur
Go figure, I go looking at one razor and end up with 3 Doh!
A big thank you to the sellers and for everyone's feedback, I look forward to the new adventure that awaits me.

I've had both the stainless and titanium Vectors and sold both. They look lovely and they're certainly a well made and unique offering but I could never get an enjoyable shave from thethem

I bought Chris's Stainless Vector from him (selling a Hawk V3 + A plate to fund the purchase.) - I'm afraid it didn't live up to my expectations. I loaned it to @Digimonkey - and he used it daily for 16+ days and adored it. . . .Horses for courses . . . I sold it on after a short ownership, I think to @Noggie on ATG?
I prefer the Hawk V3 by a country mile, so i bought another. I miss not having a Hawk 'A' plate though. It steps up efficiency while retaining the smoothness of the 'Standard' plate.

Same experience here. Only had the stainless so can't comment on the titanium. An exquisite razor with a great feel in hand but the shave dissapointed by feeling 'scrapey'.
In my AC razor journey the two that stood out were The General (Colonial Razors) and The Mongoose.

I too found it 'srapey' . . . Not very unlike the Yaqi Excalibur/Raster

So today has been great for me but not for my affliction of RAD.
I have now acquired a Blackland Vector as well as a Stando rod and a Yaqi Excalibur
Go figure, I go looking at one razor and end up with 3 Doh!
A big thank you to the sellers and for everyone's feedback, I look forward to the new adventure that awaits me.

I think you'd be hard pressed to differentiate between the Excalibur and the Vector, Mark. In use they felt almost identical to me.
I'm not a Vector hater, rather I'm in the camp of not clicking with it in the way I hoped to.

Enjoy using your new toys!

... and so, perhaps don't discount the idea of the all-stainless Yaqi Romulus/Remus if you do go that direction.

My two-penneth? I didn't like the Vector. Grateful that I was loaned one for the purposes of comparison having already bought the Yaqi copy. I have since moved on the Yaqi heads as I didn't much like them either. To me, it's like straight shaving with a 4/8 or 3/16 moustache trimmer - it was just too narrow and that had profound effects upon the effectiveness of any given angle which the Vector apologied for by being not particularly refined. Some read that as aggressive; conversely, some folks read a razor made to very high tolerances as mild - that's what I mean by not refined.

Like @Paul L my preference is for a more traditional approach with a larger head and the only AC that I've kept is the Hawk and I've only kept the A plate which personally, I find to be less aggressive than the standard ... or in my methodology, "more refined".

I think Blackland were clever to try the idea, which I see coming from the solution for how to make a GEM blade razor as a three-piece (incidentally, something which ASR simply never did ... maybe they tried it in prototype and scrapped the idea) and the problem being how to run a post with a circular requirement through a blade with a slotted hole. Something clicked and that solution was then applied to a different type of blade (the AC) also not looking for that solution.

I think you'd be hard pressed to differentiate between the Excalibur and the Vector, Mark. In use they felt almost identical to me.
Well as many times before this one adds to that YMMV saying. My first AC razor was Excalibur and I found it really harsh. Not that it gave me any irritation or whatsoever but the feeling while using it was like I was pulling some dull blade over my face. It was something I expected from vector but it didn't happened at all.

Back
Top Bottom