Bit of help - Seized 40's alu rocket

Hi All,

I've just acquired a 1940's Aluminium Rocket.

It has a minor problem in that the stem is completely seized up and will not move.

What would be the best & safest method to dissolve the aluminium oxide which had probably caused the jam?

Cheers in advance.

Jason

I would firstly try soaking it in a solution of washing up liquid in warm water to see if that shifts it. Then I would put it through a couple of cycles in an ultrasonic cleaner (if you have access to one).

If that fails, try soaking it in a mineral oil bath (I use Boots baby oil) and see if that works.

I have managed to get a very stiff slim adjustable working like new using the soaking in hot wter/mineral oil before I bought an uktrasonic cleaner.

Good luck.

BlkKnight said:
Cheers, I'll give that a try.

I was hoping there was some kind of household detergent which will dissolve the aluminium oxide.

It may not be that - it could just be soap and gunge - I also have a aluminium rocket but mine shows no sign of oxidisation so hopefully it is just soap!

Some people say boiling it works well for frozen TTO's but I haven't had to resort to that. Not had any completely frozen ones but had a few stiff ones that an overnight soak and blast in the Ultrasonic seemed to free up. When I get them loosened up I oil them with Sterol but any light mineral oil should do the trick and keep it running smooth.

Cif foaming bathroom cleaner is the equivalent of the magic "scrubbing bubbles" you hear mentioned on B&B, I have had some good results with that also but if you don't have it already then a fairy liquid soak should help to loosen it up.

moodymick said:
Bin it.

Aluminium is the work of the devil*

I agree with the first sentence but it's Aluminium Oxide that is the work of the devil if you've ever had to un-seize aluminium components.

Try a good few rounds with an ultrasonic, oil whatever but it's more likely the razor will fail IF Al components have seized or been the cause of some galvanic corrosion.

Goodluck

Ammonia's a weak acid, not sure what it will do to Al2O3 if anything as it protects aluminium from further oxidation.

If it corrodes that it'll corrode the aluminium itself I would have thought?

Ammonia is alkaline :)

In theory, will attack the aluminium oxide first - then will go on to corrode the aluminium further.

I plan to use a very weak solution (window cleaner actually) and watch very carefully.

Yes I mean't it acts as a weak acid. I can't rememeber my O level chem but I'd be surprised of anything domestic can dissolve AL2O3, they make abrasives out of it as well as cutting tools.

Its Free!!!!

Couple of days soaking in detergent, bit of brute force and it's now free!

Woop!

Apparently it's the rare 27g Rocket. Any ideas as to it's valuation?

Number #3 here
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.theshaveden.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9206" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.theshaveden.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9206</a><!-- m -->

Back
Top Bottom