Birth Year razor

I am a newbie and haven't even had my first DE shave yet (Feather Portable in the post) but I am liking the idea of acquiring a razor that is the same vintage as my good self i.e. a 1963 model.
A quick shufty on the bay shows this

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vintage-Gillette-Slim-Adjustable-Safety-Razor-1963_W0QQitemZ120513626727QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item1c0f2c0267" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vintage-Gillette- ... 1c0f2c0267</a><!-- m -->

Which to my eye looks a little rough around the edges (as do I, I must confess) but I don't know if the blemishes will polish out. I also don't have a clue whether this would be a good option or what would be a fair price to pay.

I am in no hurry so will probably bide my time and keep an eye on Ebay to see what comes up.

I can't believe I have yet to have my first DE shave and I am considering buying another razor already!

Any advice or guidance greatly appreciated.

Keith

I like my Slim a lot, possibly even more than the Fatboy, but then again I like all Gillette twist-to-open razors. Assuming that everything works, the only possible pitfall is dodgy blade alignment, which generally means there's a discrepancy between the blade gaps on either side. For a good one, £20 - £25 is a sensible price to reckon on.

It doesn't look bad.
I have a slightly younger J3 1964 "Birth Year razor" which was probably very similar (perhaps a bit more brassing) to the one you're looking at. It shaved very well. I had it replated in nickel by Dave at safetyrazors.co.uk (a member of this and other shave forums) and it now looks and shaves fantastically well. Go for it. Providing it's mechanically sound you'll appreciate it. If you like how it shaves you can always "pimp it" by replating it in nickel (or even gold if you really want to pimp it) ;)

If you want to be really anal about it are you after one from the correct quarter or that year? i.e this slim was made in the third quarter of 63' if it fits go for it.

antdad said:
If you want to be really anal about it are you after one from the correct quarter or that year? i.e this slim was made in the third quarter of 63' if it fits go for it.

That was what swung it for me. I was born in the 3rd quarter of 1964 so I jumped at the chance of a J3 slim adjustable. It came with a (much better condition) lady gillette (which my wife likes thankfully) and an A4 1955 red tip superspeed (sadly with the endcaps missing).

antdad said:

Thanks for the information all. I think I will have to hold out for an I4 as I am a "late December back in '63" baby.

I think I like the idea of the adjustable Gillette Slim though.

My slim is a J4 (not a birth year one), I am relegated to 1971 which does not leave a lot if choice, I have a black handle supoer adjustable from 1970 but not seen a 1971 3Q yet.

I've got an A3 (3/4 1955) Superspeed which, I like to think, is only a month older than me and was made just in case I had been born prematurely.

It's quite good. I use it on the odd occassion but its only A3 vanity that drove me to own it and I could live without it.

Would I buy another for the reason of birth-date? Probably not, with all candour.

Blyth Spirit said:
Would I buy another for the reason of birth-date? Probably not, with all candour.

Would you like an A4 redtip superspeed (with the endcaps missing) to try out?
I haven't used it but you're welcome to it.
If you don't like it you can post it back.
If you do like it you can keep it.....

Just found a Gillete Slim (I think) with a Q4 1963 I4 date stamp on Ebay.

Link here: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vintage-Collectible-Gillette-Adjustable-I-4_W0QQitemZ230413393500QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item35a5b55e5c" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vintage-Collectib ... 35a5b55e5c</a><!-- m -->

Any advice on whether this is a good buy would be appreciated.

Keith

Looks good, but the I3 he is also selling has the same photos as this one ;). Might be worth emailing the vendor for more photos?

If you really want a birth razor, then at 17 quid, it might be worth a punt. If the photos are correct, its a good deal.

Keep checking the BST section also, loads of stuff comes up in there all the time.

JaseB said:
Looks good, but the I3 he is also selling has the same photos as this one ;). Might be worth emailing the vendor for more photos?

If you really want a birth razor, then at 17 quid, it might be worth a punt. If the photos are correct, its a good deal.

Keep checking the BST section also, loads of stuff comes up in there all the time.

Thanks for the advice. He seems to use the same images for all his slim adjustable Gillette auctions.

He has good feedback so I might just send him a note with a few questions.

I kind of struck lucky with a birth razor find. Found a birth quarter short-handled super adjustable, which is also my favourite razor, about a week after I set out to find one. I want an S2 Long-handle to match, then I'll be set.

Back
Top Bottom