Big Ben blade going on and on............

Hi guys

I have just used a BB blade for shave number 8 and it still giving a DFS if not a BBS. I have noticed that with a couple of days growth it does seem to tug for the first couple of strokes and that's when I think "This'll be the last one then...." but after that the blade seems to recover and subsequent strokes are smooth and just cut through the two day growth with no tugging. Passes 2 (XTG) and 3 (ATG) are good, very smooth and so far I have had no cuts and no irritation. Next shave same thing happens initial tugging then nice and smooth. Has anyone else experienced this with a BB or other blades if so what is happening??

My beard is heavier than average I think but not super heavy or super coarse.

I do clean the blade thoroughly and dry it after each use so maybe this helps. I also remember reading years ago that razor blades will self sharpen if left alone - something to do with the metal crystals sliding over each other to keep the edge sharp, perhaps this is happening.

The Blade continues though and shave number 9 beckons.....

Would value any thoughts or opinions!!

Hi guys

I have just used a BB blade for shave number 8 and it still giving a DFS if not a BBS. I have noticed that with a couple of days growth it does seem to tug for the first couple of strokes and that's when I think "This'll be the last one then...." but after that the blade seems to recover and subsequent strokes are smooth and just cut through the two day growth with no tugging. Passes 2 (XTG) and 3 (ATG) are good, very smooth and so far I have had no cuts and no irritation. Next shave same thing happens initial tugging then nice and smooth. Has anyone else experienced this with a BB or other blades if so what is happening??

My beard is heavier than average I think but not super heavy or super coarse.

I do clean the blade thoroughly and dry it after each use so maybe this helps. I also remember reading years ago that razor blades will self sharpen if left alone - something to do with the metal crystals sliding over each other to keep the edge sharp, perhaps this is happening.

The Blade continues though and shave number 9 beckons.....

Would value any thoughts or opinions!!
Is this the first BB blade you have used? If not how long did the last blade last? I've not tried these blades, where are they made? :)

This is the first one I have used so I have no previous knowledge I'm afraid @Blademonkey . They are made by Lord in Egypt I believe.
I'm using BBs at the moment, first time too and still on first blade.
Had mixed results, put it down to technique.
Used 3 days 7 passes in total. Using a gillette (knack) twist.

Shave 1. WTG XTG ATG lovely shave experience and BBS.
Sh 2 after 2 days. Same W X A. BBS on face and tugging and burn on neck.
Sh 3 after 2 days. A quick WTG. A lovely shave nice and close on face. No tugging or irritation on neck.

Mixed emotions but happy with the blades, I think. Think I'll use same blade in a couple days.

Shark are good too (Lord of Egypt mfr.), very comfortable.
Not the closest, but, very smooth.
Can seem a little tuggy as you describe but go on to provide a great overall shave.

I'll keep an eye out for some Lord Platinums now.

Shave 5 on same blade.
Decided on a light WTG yesterday.
And a WTG XTGx2 on neck today.

Shaves are getting better each day.
After realisation of newbie error, chasing BBS each time. And using feather light touch. No irritation and left over stubble on neck on visible to the touch ATG.

Very happy this morning.

Back
Top Bottom