Better shave from second use of a blade?

Just had the second shave with the Astra blade I have in my razor. I found it worked noticeably better than on the first go, giving a cleaner shave and also easier to use. Given that I am a novice to DE shaving, is it more likely that my technique is improving, or is it possible that a blade could get better after one use, almost like being "run in"?

Interested to hear your thoughts,

Ainslie

As an advocate of the Astra Superior Platinum blade, I have to say that I find the 3rd shave of a blade the smoothest of all. That is not to say that the other shaves are not smooth, it is just for me, the third shave is the most effortless.

That said, there are some razors in my little stash which can feel a little harsh with a brand new Astra, then calm down on subsequent shaves - but that is the razor gap and my technique - not the blade.

If you are wondering on how many shaves the blade is good for? For me, a daily shaver averaging 1.5 passes a day, I can get 4-5 days. Beyond that is false economy when you are risking nicks 'n' weepers just for the sake of pennies :|

I notice this too. Tbh though, out of all the blades I've tried, it's the astras that I notice this the most on.

For me, the second shave is amazing. First one leaves me a tad sore.

Don't get this with 7 o'clock yellows though.

I had the 3rd shave with the Astra tonight and it seems to have slightly deteriorated. Still for a damn good shave but it took more work than the last. Worked up a phenomenal lather with a T&H almond shaving cream sample, the Vulfix 404 and my cheap stainless steel (pet food) shaving bowl. I think I will keep rotating blades through the five brands which I got in the sample pack, until I have used each blade often enough to form a reasonable opinion and reduce variables such as novice technique, changing soaps/creams etc.

Ainslie

Do this...<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ogq4wfpT7hc">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ogq4wfpT7hc</a><!-- m -->
DE palm stropping works for almost ALL "scraping and scratching" blades
Smooths em out a bit

B

Back
Top Bottom