Best Soap/Cream for a straight shave?

Guy's,

Looking for some advice on the best soap for the straight shave?

What in your opinion give the smoothest shave with the lease irritation?

I'm very much a beginner about 6 weeks into my straight razor adventures.

Thanks

Andy.

Hi there Andy!

I think slicknes of a soap is important for a straight shaver. Lanolin/clay content is nice. Soaps I like and think is excellent straight razor soaps: Nannys, Cella, Martin de Candre, Provence Santé, Mitchells Wool Fat.

Always found Palmolive stick to give the best cushion & slip for straight razor shaves.

Now I have Czech & Speake soap I wouldn't hesitate to use that - it produces the same kind of thick, shiny (no air bubbles) lather.

The big three for me are Nanny's, Cella and Mitchell's Wool Fat, for the reasons outlined by Mikael. Nanny's would be my recommendation for starting out because it's so easy to lather, and very protective.

That said, I've used all manner of soaps and a few creams in a spirit of experimentation, and there are very few which are really unsuitable. It's largely a matter of finding the right consistency, robust but not so thick that it makes the razor drag. In many cases when the lather is right it takes on that glossy look Vinny refers to. Other soaps and creams which have worked for me include (in no particular order): Arko; Tabac; Palmolive; Prairie Creations; Taylor's creams; Henk's creams; MdC; P.160; Briallen's Honeyspice; Sunbury's soap; Godrej cream; Speick.

Martin de Candre is a very safe and secure option. Plenty of slickness for your straight shave and it leaves even my fussy skin very smooth.

There are other options though - Palmolive shave stick is readily available and dirt cheap (but expect to buy it more often though), Monsavon, DR Harris or even Trumper's - Rose or Violet is good. I think with some of these though, it may take a bit of work before you can perfect the lather that will make it worthwhile. For me, MdC is the easiest to lather.

Back
Top Bottom