Best shave vs Most enjoyable shave

In my humble opinion these are not the same thing.
I get my best shaves from my Merkur HD (34G) - i.e. takes next to no time, I get smooth chops, and it's just an all round good shave.
On the other hand I enjoy my shaves with my Vision that much more. Although it takes longer with the Vision it results in an equally fine shave (I have to be a bit more careful in places ) but I think the extra time spent adds to the enjoyment. As you can probably gather the Vison is reserved for days off/weekends and the HD for work days. In between I rotate various others in my collection, adjustables (Merkur Futur, Gillettes) and fixed (various Gillettes/Feather portable/Wilkinson Sword).
I suppose what I'm saying is that my 'best' shaves are utility shaves, quick and dirty, smoothest face in shortest possible time, compared with 'hobby' shaves where it's the shaving process and the slow enjoyment of the whole thing that's important. Obviously it's that latter that I prefer :shave
Anyone else care to voice a preference?

I'd tend to agree; I always shave in the morning, so during weekdays usually there's not much spare time.

Nevertheless I still try to enjoy as much as possible (if I am in a rush, e.g. wake up late and cannot enjoy at all then I prefer simply not to shave - this will make next am's shave even more enjoyable).

Then the weekends come, but this is the time when the skin should get its rest...

Of course it depends on the experience and technique of the user. I am not an 'old dog' in wet shaving, so my shaves do take time.

And when I try to speed up, I have the Futur ready to remind me not to do so (and I think you know what I mean!)

I save the weekends for experimenting ...using a new razor...

I know what you mean about a go to razor though. I can just get after it with a HD and Gillette #58 and get BBS everytime. Saying that my Ever Ready lather catcher is starting to smoke that..pretty cool as its even older than me, its 103 :lol:

Back
Top Bottom