Beer gone nuclear

I cant imagine this...<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/north_east/8380412.stm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scot ... 380412.stm</a><!-- m -->

Ringwood Brewery, which makes Old Thumper is just a few miles from my home. They have tours of their buildings during which you get a half pint sample of each one of their beers. I went on one of these trips and we followed it with a meal in the brewery's pub in Ringwood. So it was an evening of samples followed by another couple of pints during the meal. Ruth drove home. I slept well.
These days, whenever I visit a pub that sells it, I have just one pint of Old Thumper. I highly recommend it.

Can you even legally (I mean product labeling legal) call this a beer? AFAIK, beer can only be called a beer if it contains alcohol that was generated within the brewing process, which means that you won't be able to get more than, say 12-13% alcohol in a 'true' beer. Same with wine. Yeast cells die at higher concentrations, so fermentation stops there. Port and Sherry aren't wines either, they are classified as fortified wines (with added alcohol). A 18% beer will also be a fortified beer. Fortification up to the 35% level would most likely classify it as a liqueur or something.

You can buy high-alcohol turbo yeasts through retail homebrew outlets that easily get to mid-20s% - and the guys at Brewdog are the propellorheads of brewing... as said previously though, it'll probably taste like (and dissolve) asphalt.

However I read that it's a 10% Imperial Stout that's been aged and freeze-distilled... so who knows.

FYI the owner of this brewery (he's about 25) was in the paper yesterday because their Tokyo Stout has been banned by distributors. Compared to the ale in question in the OP (Tactical Nuclear Penguin 32%) Tokyo was a very modest 18.2%.

Although I wouldn't be brave enough to touch Tactical Nuclear Penguin I have tried Tokyo and trust me, taking into account the price point and body of this drink you'd only ever drink 2 bottles max.

Some people agree that the brewers are being irresponsible however I see their point if you read this piece here.....

"The decision to ban Tokyo* follows a complaint by campaign group Alcohol Focus Scotland and a member of the public, later revealed to be James Watt, BrewDog’s Managing Director. Watt submitted the complaint as a protest against the Portman Group’s response to proposals for minimum per-unit pricing on alcohol, a move which BrewDog argued would combat binge drinking and level the playing field for smaller breweries.

Following the ban, the Portman Group said Tokyo* beer will be unavailable in shops, bars and clubs in the UK. The Portman Group is issuing a Retailer Alert Bulletin asking retailers to stop selling the drink until its marketing is altered to comply with the Code.

BrewDog recently released Tactical Nuclear Penguin, the strongest beer ever. It is also responsible for Nanny State, a beer with such a low alcohol content it falls below the legal classification of beer and is not strong enough to be subject to beer duty."

I like the "Nanny State" bit. Also take note, the MD reported his own product.

"Responding to news of the ban, James Watt said: "The Portman Group and Alcohol Focus Scotland are completely ignorant to the fact that beer can be enjoyed responsibly like a fine wine, a Frank Zappa album or a visit from a friendly yet anxious ghost. It is through education of both drinker and the drinker’s palate that we can begin to challenge the problem of binge drinking and alcoholism in this country.

"The Portman Group refers to copy on the Tokyo* label that reads “Everything in moderation, including moderation itself. What logically follows is that you must, from time, have excess."... This refers to the opulent nature of the beer and the technical achievement of brewing a beer such as Tokyo*, it was to be read in the context of the label as a whole. They should perhaps concentrate their efforts on targeting the brands selling 24 cans of lager for £7 - where literal excess is contributing to Scotland's problem with alcohol."

I can see his point there. You'll do more damage trying to drink 24 cans of cheapo lager than you will drinking 2 bottles of fine ale.

However when drinking something like that, I know I'd be sensible and know when to stop but there are those (a minority) out there who would go out their way to try and drink as much of it as possible. As previously mentioned, I doubt that someone looking to drink "quantity over quality" would bother with a beer that costs £10 a bottle.

FYI Tactical Nuclear Penguin costs a whopping £35 for ONE 330ml bottle.

Its just a marketing exercise...ANTDAD SAYS RELAX.

Nothing like a good ban to increase brand profile and sales, for you oldies just ask Frankie.

Wouldn't drink this shit though, I had a barley wine/diamond white snake bite once and once was enough just mind numbingly awful tasting drink.

At £30 its more of a curio than anything else, especially given the "limited supply".

I'd hazard a guess that most bottles will be bought and remain on display in the buyers/recipients home for months, eventually opened, sipped and the majority poured down the sink.

I agree with Antdad - pure marketing and from the looks of it working rather well I'd say!!!!

Back
Top Bottom