Beef Jerky

Im quite partial to a slice of beef jerky once in a while with its spicy tones and meaty flavour... however its quite expensive for what it is, a few strips of beef that has been maranated.

So i'm thinking of making my own, ive watched a few youtube vids on the subject and it seems do-able.

Has anyone on here tried making there own?

Ah Biltong, ive read abit about that, am I right saying its South African? Think its dried cured with a bit of heat from say a normal household light bulb in a box of some sort.

A friend of mine (South African) makes his own biltong down under in Australia where he lives. He loves the stuff. Not my cup of tea (too dry), and he's tried making it with various meats, including beef, crocodile, kangaroo and much more.

Ah Biltong, ive read abit about that, am I right saying its South African? Think its dried cured with a bit of heat from say a normal household light bulb in a box of some sort.
Yep and like the jerky you get various flavours. Used to be dry cured to preserve the meat in the heat. Often thrown across a horses saddle.
Waitrose have a good selection.

Think next time im in waitrose I'll have a look...

I quite like eating jerky with a nice glass of red... a shiraz or something full bodied to go with the spice of the jerky

Biltong is great stuff. It's one of those things I keep meaning to try making, but I've not gotten around to it. I've seen purpose-built biltong makers for about £40, but if you're halfway decent at DIY making one yourself should be easy enough, you just need a box with a light in it.

Yea im quite nifty with a drill, should be easy enough to construct a wooden box. I'll have a look online for design ideas

So this has become making jerky to making biltong haha i'm sure I can get enough meat for the two!

Looks very good! What recipe does he use for the marinade?

I am liking the idea of creating a little project for this. Think the wife might want me to finish the kitchen first though!

Back
Top Bottom