Beanie hats

Looking for a decent beanie hat as the winter approaches. It's for dog walking, commuting to work and generally going for walks with family and friends. I don't need anything too technical or expensive.

I like to have a warm head, and avoid over sweating. Is Merino Wool the better option over say a fleece lined hat? Read good things about Danish Endurance Merino Wool hats, as an example.

Many thanks, Richard

I would go for a wool hat as wool is self regulating for temperature due to its moisture wicking behaviour.
If you are cold it will trap heat in, but if you start to sweat, even a small amount it will wick the sweat away cooling you down in the process. (y)
I can back this up as a hot sweaty sleeper, miserable at night for years untill I got a wool duvet,, now just nice warm sweat free nights.

Looking for a decent beanie hat as the winter approaches. It's for dog walking, commuting to work and generally going for walks with family and friends. I don't need anything too technical or expensive.

I like to have a warm head, and avoid over sweating. Is Merino Wool the better option over say a fleece lined hat? Read good things about Danish Endurance Merino Wool hats, as an example.

Many thanks, Richard
Richard, Merino wool is indeed the best, not only soft but will keep you warm.
I have quite a few wool beanie hats and the merino wool hats are by far the
best.

Paul.

Never had a real quality merino beanie but I have merino base layers and for their low bulk they punch above their weight warmth wise but similar to Jimmy's point they wick when you're hot enough. I don't like bulk in hats so a thin tactical/outdoors one would suit me better than my cheapies. It has to be really cold for me to want a hat though so I don't wear one often and therefore make do. If it gets really cold this winter I'll get a decent one. I know there are waterproof ones but I imagine they'll be too hot. I haven't got enough hair to worry about it getting wet though!

I had one years ago from Ray Mears site. Back in my open canoeing days. Was a a merino/possum fur combination that was both the softest thing ever and the warmest. Did me just grand camping out in minus ten by the shore of Loch Ken.

Don’t have the need for one nowadays. Too much hair and the inability to walk/stand for long enough in the coldest weather we get.

I had one years ago from Ray Mears site. Back in my open canoeing days. Was a a merino/possum fur combination that was both the softest thing ever and the warmest. Did me just grand camping out in minus ten by the shore of Loch Ken.

Don’t have the need for one nowadays. Too much hair and the inability to walk/stand for long enough in the coldest weather we get.
Coincidentally, just found this product & reading reviews. No idea Ray Mears had a store until I started researching hats. Would you recommend?

Richard

Back
Top Bottom