BBS for new D.E convert's

I know there are plenty of you that love that BBS feeling, I do too but personally BBS is not the end goal for me.
Some might be able to achieve it easily some won't or can't but I usually prefer to disassociate a new DE shaver from all their past habits and expectations and to me that means not shaving against the grain or expecting a foxy chic to only stroke my cheek when I'm BBS.

My view is that there are far more important elements to master before trying to acquire a BBS finish and given that most members are here because of irritation and that much of that is probably caused by trying to achieve BBS I just try to avoid any mention of it.

You may have a different view, it's a free forum you're entitled to it but I'm really not comfortable with the mention of BBS in the Welcome Post.

I'm not sure it serves any purpose especially for a new convert.

As a recent convert myself I think that achieving a BBS of darn close was one thing that reinforced the idea that multi blade razors are more about marketing than function.

I get what you are getting at and don't aim for BBS most of the time, but if I take the extra time for an evening shave I do tend to achieve it. However, I fully agree that its not the only goal even if some may have it as the main one.

My skill, angle level of pressure is such that I rarely get much irritation now unless from a duff blade.

Can't really agree. I've never had a bbs shave, if I really stretch the skin and rub there is always a rough patch somewhere. Good to know there is a holy grail though.

If you expect perfection on the first few shaves because someone mentioned bbs on your welcome thread on a shaving forum, you're a twat. If you're on a shaving forum you're going to come across the phrase unless you decide to stick to looking at the bbs free welcome forum for the first few months.

I was aiming for bbs with my personally honed straight from the first de shave, I'm still on the way.

Quiet, nobody mention feathers.

I take it, Tony, you're talking about the mention of BBS in Hawkeye's welcome thread. For my part I was trying to answer a question he raised about ATG shaving, and it may well have been my post that sparked off a whole BBS related topic.

You're right of course, there are many aspects of DE shaving that are new, even to someone who considers himself an expert on shaving... by which I mean someone who has been shaving for many years with oils or squirty soaps and a multi-blade cartridge razor. When I started DE shaving I found it very frustrating, and it was only through guidance from people such as yourself that I stuck at it at all and got semi-good. I grt a smoother shave than ever before, and that means less "neck hairs rubbing on collars" which I always hated: it meant a sore neck, and a bobbly collar.

Should a n00b expect to achieve BBS quickly? No. Should it be a goal for a n00b? Yes, if he wants it to be. Does a n00b have to master a number of other things before BBS is possible? Undoubtably. But should we talk about BBS in a welcome post? Well... as long as it's made clear that it's a long haul before you can get there.

I welcome Tony's post, mostly because I loath the expression. Of course the billiard ball finish is a legitimate aspiration, but I'd hate to think that there are people out there with screaming red faces beating themselves up if they don't achieve it every time.

Arrowhead said:
Ha ha. Impeccably punctuated though.

No, technically the final ellipsis should have four "period" points (thus: "....") as it also includes the full-stop at the end of the sentence. (Otherwise, three is correct.)

Blyth Spirit said:
Rev-O said:
Arrowhead said:

No, technically the final ellipsis should have four "period" points (thus: "....") as it also includes the full-stop at the end of the sentence. (Otherwise, three is correct.)

Can it be actually construed as a sentence?
:?

Yes, in that it is a syntactical unit (besides, lists qualify on their own merit.)

NEXT!

Rev-O said:
Arrowhead said:

The full stop would imply that the list, and therefore the sentence, was over, and it wasn't. So the three period point ellipsis was used correctly.

However:

... BBS, BBS, BBS, BBS, BBS, BBS, BBS. There, I've finished now.

cheese_dave said:
Rev-O said:
Arrowhead said:

The full stop would imply that the list, and therefore the sentence, was over, and it wasn't. So the three period point ellipsis was used correctly.

However:

... BBS, BBS, BBS, BBS, BBS, BBS, BBS. There, I've finished now.

Phew, glad that's sorted then. :p Nice to have a bit of punctuation equilibrium. :D

I'll get my Coate's....

moodymick said:
To be quite honest, if all i was looking for in shaving was BBS, i would have stuck with a WS Quattro Titanium. Speaking of Quattro, time to watch the last episode of A2A :eek:

..Yeah, me too! DFS with my Fusion gear was par for the course, even though still half asleep! Time taken for entire shave was never more than 5 minutes, an extra minute would almost always produce a BBS! If that is all I required from shaving, I too would still be there - stuck in a shaving nightmare !! I do not think it likely I shall ever go back to that state of affairs ! The more I learn about the craft, a relapse becomes more remote. :shave

spandexcodpiece said:
..Yeah, me too! DFS with my Fusion gear was par for the course, even though still half asleep! Time taken for entire shave was never more than 5 minutes, an extra minute would almost always produce a BBS! If that is all I required from shaving, I too would still be there - stuck in a shaving nightmare !! I do not think it likely I shall ever go back to that state of affairs ! The more I learn about the craft, a relapse becomes more remote. :shave

I never relapse. I do, from time to time, take out the mach 3, the Quattro or the Azor and have a most excellent, long, slow shave. I also enjoy binning the cartridge after maybe five or six uses over a six month period as opposed to dragging one out several times a week over the course of a month because I refused to pay Gillette stupid amounts of cash to do something I didn't enjoy.
These days a tenner or so a year on cartridges isn't a large part of my rather small shaving budget. It's a tenner well spent though, especially if you only buy them when they're on a good deal - which I can these days as I no longer 'need' them.

Tony, I agree.

First and foremost is comfort. After that, you can go for the BBS if you want, but most of the time it's not really necessary.

The goal for me, is to achive a BBS shave with no blood or irritation, but that takes time. I'm coming up to my 2nd anniversary of DE shaving, and I'm only just able to achieve that with any kind of regularity.

Ian

Back
Top Bottom