Baxter Silvertip - in Bog Oak

AJP

I am looking at getting myself a Silvertip. I have seen someone selling their collection, and my interest has been picqued by the Baxter in Bog Oak. (3rd from left in pic).

He is advertising it thus: "Baxter bog oak,23mm knot,3yrs old,good cond:$70.00"

Is this worth it? Does anyone know anything about these brushes....(Fido...? ;) )

Is that a good price, or should i try and talk him down a bit?

Cheers guys,

(Alternatively, should i just look at getting a new Shavemac or something similar?)

Attachments

• 015[1].jpg
    360 bytes · Views: 98
Don't get too bogged down with the term "Silvertip" there are good and bad as manufacturers grade their hair differently.

Do a little research, decide exactly how you are going to use the brush and then decide how much you are going to spend.

My impression of that brush is that it looks well used and is past it's best...I'd put the £50 towards something else.

Cheers AntDad! I find it just too easy to spend money on shaving odds and sods! Sometimes just need someone to say "Stop...!" That looks like you are about to waste your cash :lol:

Thanks.

Can anyone make a suggestion for me? Currently i am using a Mühle Pure - which to be honest i find very nice. However i have nowt to compare it to. I'd like to get a new brush, possibly better quality (tempted with the custom made ones from a foum member) but am not sure what to look at and what would be best.

I like to use both soaps and creams. My current brush has a 21mm loft (i think).

Suggestions? (Oh yeah, i like to bowl lather too :) )

Cheers.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.beautybridge.com/baofcabogwop.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.beautybridge.com/baofcabogwop.html</a><!-- m -->

First I've heard of it!

So much depends on how much you are prepared to spend on a badger brush. You will get a decent brush in the high forties (GBP) and a terrific one in the 60s. Best value will be a custom brush.

I think custom may be the way forwards!

I have seen a few from Neocalgito, and have sent him a PM.

(Just got my folks to agee to buy the brush as and when it is made AND a scuttle from a German pottery place! Gotta love the folks!)

hando said:
i've got a Simpson PJ3 in Best i'll sell you but it's a bit out of that price range

Thanks for the offer Hando, but i think i'm going to try a custom one next. Thanks anyway. ;)

The range of brush types is huge Tony, put that with hair type, handle size and price variations can lead to much confusion.

This is the main reason with regards to brushes that I scour the forums (a nod in Fido’s blog direction).

I’ve used an EJ medium Best from the start, for roughly £30 - £35 and that was used daily without much care being taken to ensure it was dried properly, stood upright on window cill and the kids getting hold of it when in the bath. I could count on one hand the number of hairs shed and it’s still going strong.

I’ve picked up a Duke 3 Best from Rev-O and that is a great all round brush. Also a brush from T&H, which is bigger and seems a little denser than the Duke.

Like you, I think my next one will be a custom.

Back
Top Bottom