Bath and Shower Routines

I shower using Savon de Marseille liquid soap, which is sulphate free or luxury Portuguese and Italian soaps. During hot weather I will use an artisanal soap such as Nablus or Aleppo.

Post shower I apply Lotion pour friction such as Friction du Foucard or Lotion Opaline followed by an Eau de Cologne of which I have many.

I am considering trying a bath essence or oil and maybe applying a body oil or milk afterwards. There are some products from Weleda and Dr. Hauschka I would like to try.

What's your routine?

Last edited:
Reach for the nearest shower gel and then go in descending order; Hair, face, pits, balls, a***e.

Then think "Oh bugger, i forgot to bring the cartridge razor into the shower"

Rinse and repeat

I go for the three S approach. Shit, Shower, Shave. As I get older the first two are taking longer and the last quicker. Aye.

We saw Joan Rivers in concert in Vegas and she said

"Kid's today, its all just sex, sex, sex".

"My daughter spends all her time telling me about her love life and i said to her when you get to my age you are satisfied with a good crap every day" :LOL: :LOL::LOL:

Nothing specific here.

I'm currently alternating between aleppo soap (70% laurel version) and a bottle of Pino Silvestre Shower gel.
I have plenty of Aleppo soap and the shower gels usually come from TK Max. I'll pop in every now and then to see if there's anything interesting.

Shower with a bar of soap. These days it’ll either be Wrights, Imperial Leather or Lidl’s own. Wrights is the one just now. Shampoo is whatever Matron is currently using which is some daft banana carry on. I refuse to buy summat else when that’s already there and she doesn’t seem to mind. I usually wash my face with the shampoo instead of the soap as it’s gentler and softens the stubble better. Occasionally, I’ll use hair conditioner on my face as well as again, I find it helps. Shave after that.

The above is only possible due to an extensive fumigation process carried out by industrial equipment and several of Matron’s hyper-effective home brewed cleaning agents employed post first ‘S’. It don’t half stink, Mum. Ooft!

I just do what Men do, flannel around big Jim and The Twins, I don't care what I use, my hair is no different with fancy expensive hair care stuff or Fairy liquid. It's all just Chemicals.

Well I did expect fanciful accounts of tea lights, Barry White on surround sound and a Pine Bath essence favoured by James Bond but never mind, you live and learn.

This could well be a TLDR!
We have 2 power showers and a bath but for >12 months I've been a bath monkey. The reason - a side effect of medication resulted in psoriasis - primarily scalp psoriasis but with angry patches elsewhere - face (esp.), legs, arms, back. Whilst arguing for a change in medication I turned to the results of numerous Google searches and began bathing using, variously, colloidal oatmeal, magnesium 'spa flakes' (probably Epsom salts) and Dead Sea salts. I also used, variously, Aleppo soap, birch tar soap and soaps rich in glycerin, and began using Dr Ratna Tantra's shampoo bar (she of Hampshire Wool Fat fame). If someone had suggested a shampoo bar to me 18 months ago, I would probably have laughed in their face.
I largely stopped eating members of the nightshade family (not easy for anyone raised on potatoes) but have slowly re-introduced them.
My medication has now changed and I think I've turned a corner, being largely free of the visible effects - but fearing I may just be in remission I've stuck to a lot of my bathing regime. I have some long aged Aleppo soap and also swear by soaps made by Handmade Norfolk Soaps (to which I have no affiliation) and Nesti Dante. I use birch tar soap periodically, although one that I have, though otherwise good, has a hemp oil base, which I'm not a great fan of. I still use a shampoo bar.
If I need to, I use my ever-diminishing Kiehl's Argan Body Lotion (discontinued - I'll never know why) or Boot's coconut oil (not sure if you can still get that either).
Because I'm a fussy chap, my bath is enamelled - I'm not sure I could live with a plastic one - and the towel has to be a good Indian cotton one :D
Edited to add that I also use the Lush sandstone soap scrub intermittently - a good exfoliant, long-lasting and dirt cheap at a fiver.

Last edited:
I have tried my girlfriend's favourite of Epsom and Himalayan Pink salts without success. As a teenager I used to have Savlon disinfectant baths, but that version was discontinued year's ago. I am looking forward to some Pine and Spruce enhanced baths. Hopefully the Arnica Soak will be good as the Ibruprofen gel on my back doesn't appear to do much...

Back
Top Bottom