Barbacide

Unless you are running a barbers, or sharing your shaving equipment, I remain cynical on this obsession with Barbicid. If you cut yourself, it's your blood, and your germs, your body is clever enough to know how to deal with it. A run under a hot tap, with some soap if you'r fussy, is more than enough. In 40 years, the only time I have ever disinfected razor equipment is when I sell it on...
Unless you use other people's razors.
Then it's their blood and their germs.
If you don't buy vintage or second hand and don't participate in pass arounds - no need for Barbicide.

Barbacide contains ammonium chloride as a primary ingredient. Dettol, and many other disinfectants also contain the same. In the same way that LemSip sachets (costing £4.95 for 10) contains 500mg of paracetomol, and 100g of caffein for the 'extra' version, the same generic Asda brand which costs £1.50 for 10 has the same generic ingredients. If you're happy with Barbacide and it's your 'proper' stuff, that's absolutely fine, but for anyone that simply wants a disinfectant, there are numerous cheaper and equally effective options...

You only list two ingredients, the BBC is made for one specific job and I trust that, what effects of Dettol's other ingredients could harm the scales or patina or brass/nickel pins and washers...discolouration maybe ? . Dettol is a great antiseptic but I dont think I would want it on a expensive shaving item...using 2 capfuls of BBC makes it quite cheap. Also the smell of Dettol is not really something I would want on a brush either.

Dettol is a great antiseptic but I dont think I would want it on a expensive shaving item...using 2 capfuls of BBC makes it quite cheap. Also the smell of Dettol is not really something I would want on a brush either.
Never even considered the 'smell' on a brush. Your point is well made. I was brought up on the smell of Dettol and TCP at my Granny's house, so it simply reminds me of childhood, not an unpleasant experience at all for me. :)

I have used generic disinfectant without a Dettol like smell. My preferred disinfectant was Savlon, I use to bath in the stuff.

I use Milton fluid to sterilise my vintage razors and soap and hot water.
8fea2aca820dd4fa20223fde953e95b7.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think we've pretty exhausted 'Barbicide' now and whilst we're off topic, if you put a Steradent tablet in a mug with water and leave your toothbrush in it overnight, it's all steralised and minty fresh LOL

steradent-active-fresh-30-tablets.jpg

Back
Top Bottom