Balm then aftershave, or aftershave then balm, or one or other …aarghhh

Longevity isn’t the point of an aftershave lotion. Also, we can get used to our fragrances; thinking that longevity is on the wane when it isn’t.
That may be true for most aftershaves. However, there are one or two exceptions. For example, I always found Aramis aftershave to be extremely long-lasting, and it didn't need to be re-applied throughout the day at all. I could splash some of it on in the morning and I could still smell it at bedtime. And that was just the aftershave, not the EDT. That was before the new EU regulations came in and before a lot of fragrances started to be re-formulated, though. That is why Aramis was, for me, the best aftershave for longevity. Nothing else came close to it. It even outlasted most other EDTs that I used, so I knew it was good stuff.

As I said....then re-formulation came in and ruined a lot of fragrances. They haven't been quite the same since. Bloody EU.

They are different beasts:
Eau de Cologne
Eau de Toilette
Eau de Parfum
Parfum
I did already know this. However, I have found that the Eau De Toilette is the most common and widely-sold fragrance in most perfume shops. I have seen very few EDCs or EDPs. Usually, if I ask for "aftershave", I am usually offered the EDT, with very few alternatives. I tend to find that the EDPs, when available, usually cost quite a lot more as well, for obvious reasons, which I do understand. After all, as I always say, you do get what you pay for (usually).

4711 EdC
Christian Dior EdC
Alt-Innsbrück EdC

If you’re offered EdT when asking for after shave, I’d consider changing shop; since whoever is serving you is clueless.

I’d recommend the online barbershops like Connaught etc. for a good selection.

I've followed this thread with interest and I'm surprised that it hasn't been mentioned since I thought it was a common view. It has always been my view, which, as I say, I thought common, that aftershaves should not 'last' at all. They are for skin disinfection, conditioning and soothing. The pleasent scent should be gone in a minute or two. It is then for your chosen EDT or EDP to provide a lasting scent for the day. Using an EDT or EDP on newly shaved skin would be a passport to the land of fire. The much weaker-scented aftershave should burn only with the quick sting of alcohol.

See here

Exactly.

I've followed this thread with interest and I'm surprised that it hasn't been mentioned since I thought it was a common view. It has always been my view, which, as I say, I thought common, that aftershaves should not 'last' at all. They are for skin disinfection, conditioning and soothing. The pleasent scent should be gone in a minute or two. It is then for your chosen EDT or EDP to provide a lasting scent for the day. Using an EDT or EDP on newly shaved skin would be a passport to the land of fire. The much weaker-scented aftershave should burn only with the quick sting of alcohol.

See here

Spot on.

I use witch hazel, then aftershave. I have to use an alcohol based splash straight after shaving otherwise I get a few little spots.

in terms of post shave products, I early on saw something along the lines of "most liquid to least liquid" which made sense so I've always followed that. so aftershave splash > aftershave balm > moisturiser/skin cream. I wouldn't use all three.

also alcohol first to dry then oily last to moisturise. I think of it kind of how you use shampoo to strip oils from the hair to clean it then conditioner after to put some oils back and lock in moisture. shaving will exfoliate, aftershave is an astringent and disinfects then cream replenishes.

I'd say applying perfume is a different step to post shave skin treatment.

Last edited:
4711 EdC
Christian Dior EdC
Alt-Innsbrück EdC

If you’re offered EdT when asking for after shave, I’d consider changing shop; since whoever is serving you is clueless.

I’d recommend the online barbershops like Connaught etc. for a good selection.
I tend to find that the word "after shave" is a generic term for ALL fragrances in a lot of shops. So, the staff would understand that word, but they wouldn't necessarily respond well to words such as "cologne". Most people understand the term "after shave" in other walks of life too, but I think that "cologne" is more of an Americanism that is not widely known or used in this country. A lot of people can't seem to distinguish between aftershaves or EDTs, so they just use the more generic term, which is understood by everyone.

I tend to find that the word "after shave" is a generic term for ALL fragrances in a lot of shops. So, the staff would understand that word, but they wouldn't necessarily respond well to words such as "cologne". Most people understand the term "after shave" in other walks of life too, but I think that "cologne" is more of an Americanism that is not widely known or used in this country. A lot of people can't seem to distinguish between aftershaves or EDTs, so they just use the more generic term, which is understood by everyone.
Hence my recommendation to use shaving shops.

Hence my recommendation to use shaving shops.
I don't do online shopping. Several negative personal experiences have put me off that. Plus, I don't like being at the mercy of unreliable, and occasionally untrustworthy, delivery drivers. I used to shop online many years ago, but now I no longer trust certain websites (and some of their drivers).

Sorry, but that's just how I feel. I find that proper shops are infinitely more trustworthy than internet websites. I like to see who I am dealing with face to face. You can't do that online, on some faceless website.

I don't do online shopping. Several negative personal experiences have put me off that. Plus, I don't like being at the mercy of unreliable, and occasionally untrustworthy, delivery drivers. I used to shop online many years ago, but now I no longer trust certain websites (and some of their drivers).

Sorry, but that's just how I feel. I find that proper shops are infinitely more trustworthy than internet websites. I like to see who I am dealing with face to face. You can't do that online, on some faceless website.
In that case, I’ll leave you to the unparalleled expertise of The Perfume Shop et al.

I don't think that I've seen many "colognes" in shops here. Unless you are referring to EDTs or EDPs, of course.

I've always regarded the word "cologne" as an Americanism. You would probably be met with blank faces if you asked for a "cologne" in most shops in the UK...
To be called a cologne it must be made there, in the town of Cologne, although I imagine some manufacturers don't know it or don't care.
Napoleon's favourite cologne was 4711.

I once read this online, and I agreed with it - still do.

"After shave is a thing of the past. In the old days, men used to go to the barber to get a straightedge shave. And at the end of this prehistoric face shave they’d splash on aftershave. The function of which was as an antiseptic, like alcohol, to disinfect the skin. You’d just been shaved with the same razor as the last 20 guys, after all, so they had to take some precautions.

Over time, they added scents to aftershave. Probably so you didn’t leave the barber smell like you been on the lash. Now, aftershave is mainly for smelling good. And you’re, hopefully, not sharing your razor with anyone. So you don’t need the stinging disinfectant.

Instead finish on a good note and use some aftershave cream, it will calm down your skin. It contains Panthenol (or B5) which is so soothing, tattooists even use it after they’ve tattooed someone. It’s the icing on the cake of keeping your face in the best condition possible".

What a faff

Water, foam, shave, water

Job jobbed

I don't think you're wrong ...

Times have changed, folks' requirements have changed ... and products have changed.

Given how much skin-friendly stuff there is in modern foam (well, stuff that you'd also readily find in post-shave products) there's really no need for anything more than a splash of water, particularly if you're shaving with a modern multi-blade cartridge as the "gloop strip" is also chock-full of the same kind of goodies and follows immediately after the blades.

I like a tautness to my face after shaving, which is why I do apply an aftershave splash ... something alcoholic, like Clubman or Pashana or Brut Splash-on or a vintage aftershave, but quite frankly I think a simple splash of cold water might well do the do.

Back
Top Bottom