automatic watch winder

tyke121 said:
Does anyone use autumatic watch winders here? Would like to know as ive 4 auto s and have just seen the price for a winder to wind all 4 together about 120 upwards.

It depends on the make of the winder, I bought a Constintin Weiss twin auto watch winder from a shopping channel here in the UK last year (it came with a 'free' automatic watch). Within a month it had packed up and I sent it back for a refund.
Maybe I just got a bad one, but it did feel rather cheaply built, and when it did work it was rather noisy. At the moment I just try to rotate my watches in use and they seem fine.
I'm still looking for one my self, if you come across a good one let me know.

£120 is very reasonable for a four watch winder. I'd go as far as to call that cheap. My dual watch winder is a nasty time teutelary one, its nasty plastic, a bit noisy and still cat £50 quid. You could of course just get two of those, it works well.

Christopher ward Sell a modular winde. You get a base unit with power supply, and additional units sit next to it and are powered through induction. You can have fourworking from one Per supply. But a£75 for each module, its not cheap. But what it does give you is fully customisable program's for each watch. Most winders that do multi watches only have one program for every two watches some dont even have that

shrink said:
£120 is very reasonable for a four watch winder. I'd go as far as to call that cheap. My dual watch winder is a nasty time teutelary one, its nasty plastic, a bit noisy and still cat £50 quid. You could of course just get two of those, it works well.

Christopher ward Sell a modular winde. You get a base unit with power supply, and additional units sit next to it and are powered through induction. You can have fourworking from one Per supply. But a£75 for each module, its not cheap. But what it does give you is fully customisable program's for each watch. Most winders that do multi watches only have one program for every two watches some dont even have that

£120 seems pretty reasonable especially for a four watch winder and may well be worth a go.
Iv'e got a CW automatic watch, which is fantastic quality for the price and is certainly my favorite every day watch. If the CW winders are as good as their auto watches then it should be up to par, will have to look in it.

Unless the watches have a bunch of complications I wouldn't bother. I have three autos, two of which stay in the safe if they aren't on my wrist, and I just set them (if they've stopped) and go.

OrangeSport said:
Unless the watches have a bunch of complications I wouldn't bother. I have three autos, two of which stay in the safe if they aren't on my wrist, and I just set them (if they've stopped) and go.

To be honest out of all my watches the two that I tend to wear day in day out are the Christopher Ward Automatic and the Citizen Eco Drive Divers. The other stupidly expensive ones also stay locked safely and securely away most of the time, and might be worn a few times a year if i'm lucky. Obviously they have stopped by the time I get round to those occasions when they come out, I just set them going again which doesn't seem to have had any ill effects on their mechanisms or accuracy.
Thinking about it I don't really see the need to invest in a watch winder.

It's not just about complications. One of mine is an automatic dive watch. Every time I unscrew the crown to wind it up I'm damaging the thread that is vital to water sealing. On dive watches they suggest you mess with the crown as little as possible.

There's also the fact that unlike hand winds. Automatics have very fragile gears for manual winding. Over use, or a ggressive hand winding could in fact damage an auto. So far better to get them going with a few shakes.

Or... A I prefer, keep them suitably wound on a winder :)

I have looked at winders before, but never gone down that route. My Oris sits in the safe, I can soon adjust it and get it going so its no big hassle. Yes the household insurance would replace it but it wouldn't be the same so in the safe it stays, unless I got a bigger safe with room for a winder.

shrink said:
It's not just about complications. One of mine is an automatic dive watch. Every time I unscrew the crown to wind it up I'm damaging the thread that is vital to water sealing. On dive watches they suggest you mess with the crown as little as possible.

There's also the fact that unlike hand winds. Automatics have very fragile gears for manual winding. Over use, or a ggressive hand winding could in fact damage an auto. So far better to get them going with a few shakes.

Or... A I prefer, keep them suitably wound on a winder :)

What make are they? I know ETA's 2824 has a fragile winding mechanism. That movement is in a lot of watches.

To be honest my Submariner is off my wrist so infrequently it rarely runs down, if ever. The regular servicing will keep it water tight. My ETA powered Meistersinger is my dress watch, so that does run down. It just gets a tiny wind and then a swirl to get it going. My Seiko can't be wound, so needs a swirl.

I guess winders are a real opinion divider for watch lovers.

I fall on the "don't bother" side of the French, but when I was still deciding some of the winders on this site seemed sensibly priced (but I know little about winders): http://www.winderworld.com/beco-technic-watch-winders/

Sorry, not much help...

I've got a couple of watches which don't hand wind but which I wear regularly (a modded Seiko 5, a Seiko Black Monster and a Seiko 6139 "Pogue") and use two two-watch Time Tutelary winders. One stopped working a year or so ago, but was replaced under warranty. The replacement made a pronounced grinding noise when turning, so this was replaced and at the moment they both work perfectly.

Whether or not you "need" one depends on the type of watches that you wear and your wearing habits.

Some sellers clearly take the view that if you can obviously afford a collection of watches then they can charge extortionately for a simple device to wind them on. They are worth having, but not at stupid prices.

Regards

Ian

Back
Top Bottom