Autoclave? (setting up a loaner)

I have a few friends/colleagues that want to try DE shaving, so I thought of using my Merkur 34C as a loaner.
Give them each a couple of blades to try, let them have it for a week or 2.

The thing is, can I throw the Merkur in the Autoclave (125 c Celsius)? it would be pretty handy for sterilising it.
(I have free access to an autoclave at work)

Has anyone done loaners for friends?

FB.

Tell them to get themselves sorted. You did and most of us did...I imagine...hang on to your best razor kit. Help with recommendations and blades/creams where necessary but half the fun is finding your own gear - and making the odd buying error.

If they are genuinely keen (and if they are friends) they will understand.

:shock:

Fraid I have no idea about Autoclaves M8, however whilst I think that is a really nice idea of yours I'd only ever loan or offer a piece of equipment I was content to never see again. Long as you are prepared for the razor getting lost, damaged or misused (I had a mate once whose wife used his prized implement .... the razor in this case.... to scrape a load of wooden framed sash windows clean of many years paint). Just never know what can happen with an unsupervised razor.

JohnnyO. :)

Using an autoclave is perfect for sterilising a razor, you won't do any damage at that temperature.

As for lending your one of only two razors that's really up to you, offers to lend and borrow razors between TSR members happens quite often and
you will be equally rewarded should they decide to take up D.E shaving. I'd give them at least a couple of weeks with the razor and a couple of choices of blades, something like Red IP's and Super Iridiums would give them a taster of what's available.

You can, as long as it can reach 3 atmospheres. A few years ago a dental company used to market modified pressure cookers as autoclaves (at hugh markup ) , until Health and Safety caught up with them. :eek: :eek: :eek:

I use the dental autoclave next door to my house for all my razors :D I don't think there are any teeth in there when he does them but mind you I'll never know (and he's not my dentist :lol: )

'Best practice' is to run the razor through an ultrasonic cleaning bath,then a washer-disinfector followed by vacuum autoclaving with the razor disassembled and placed in an autoclave pouch PRIOR to the sterilizing procedure.
This can be done at 121 degrees Celsius or 134,if you're feeling brave. The pouched razor would come out dry and ready to use.

Takes ages,especially the 121 cycle. Best to do this over a lunch-hour. You do need a friendly dentist!!!
N.

Back
Top Bottom