August Acquisitions

H&S P076 SB Titanium. It's very light, the finish is beautiful, and I'm looking forward to shaving with it.
PL9xVId.jpg

Received my Yaqi SE Gunmetal Razor Head from Aliexpress yesterday for about £7 inc. postage.

The finish and build is very impressive. I especially like the gunmetal appearance, certainly takes your eye.

Gave it a run this morning.
Paired it with my existing Yaqi handle which seemed to balance quite well.
The half DE blade is a little fiddly to load but aligned well and really no more difficult than many DE razors.
I used half a Gillette Rubie DE blade.

The massive blade gap made me wary of this razor but I found in practice that I soon found the angle and it did actually feel pretty smooth. There is a lot of audible feedback from this razor head; this would be due to flex of such a large blade exposure.
The razor has to be respected though as it can bite. I found this out after losing attention for a second while on my neck which led to a nick, but nothing serious.
It's very light to use and gives a tendency to whizz round the face a little too quickly which was probably the reason for today's nick.
Result was a nicely close shave and surprising smooth having seen the blade gap.

I usually do 3 passes with a DE and change the blade after 3 shaves which works out as 4.5 passes per edge. If I use this razor for 2 shaves that will be 6 passes per edge; so stretching the blade a bit more. I'll see how this works out tomorrow. It might be better to use a blade that I find only lasts a couple of shaves before blunting; like the Derby Premium and only use a half-blade for 1 shave (therefore 3 passes per edge).

Overall a fun razor to use. Definitely not for a beginner but, for the money, a great way of trying a half-blade razor (my first).
I think I would prefer a slightly less aggressive razor and not have to take so much care during the shave but still a worthy buy. Time will tell if it becomes one of my regular razors.

Paired with my existing Yaqi handle without blade.
20200822_123617.jpg

Scary amount of blade exposure.
20200822_124005.jpg

Last edited:
Received my Yaqi SE Gunmetal Razor Head from Aliexpress yesterday for about £7 inc. postage.

The finish and build is very impressive. I especially like the gunmetal appearance, certainly takes your eye.

Gave it a run this morning.
Paired it with my existing Yaqi handle which seemed to balance quite well.
The half DE blade is a little fiddly to load but aligned well and really no more difficult than many DE razors.
I used half a Gillette Rubie DE blade.

The massive blade gap made me wary of this razor but I found in practice that I soon found the angle and it did actually feel pretty smooth. There is a lot of audible feedback from this razor head; this would be due to flex of such a large blade exposure.
The razor has to be respected though as it can bite. I found this out after losing attention for a second while on my neck which led to a nick, but nothing serious.
It's very light to use and gives a tendency to whizz round the face a little too quickly which was probably the reason for today's nick.
Result was a nicely close shave and surprising smooth having seen the blade gap.

I usually do 3 passes with a DE and change the blade after 3 shaves which works out as 4.5 passes per edge. If I use this razor for 2 shaves that will be 6 passes per edge; so stretching the blade a bit more. I'll see how this works out tomorrow. It might be better to use a blade that I find only lasts a couple of shaves before blunting; like the Derby Premium and only use a half-blade for 1 shave (therefore 3 passes per edge).

Overall a fun razor to use. Definitely not for a beginner but, for the money, a great way of trying a half-blade razor (my first).
I think I would prefer a slightly less aggressive razor and not have to take so much care during the shave but still a worthy buy. Time will tell if it becomes one of my regular razors.

Paired with my existing Yaqi handle without blade.
View attachment 58638

Scary amount of blade exposure.
View attachment 58640

Fun razor, isn't it?

Indeed, the noise is quite fun - not quite 1912 noisy, but gives a certain impression.

What I like about this is that the tabs are covered all but a tiny smidge that only the fingers can feel and move, and that the entire blade is protected by the head. Why, oh why didn't ROCNEL do that?

Back
Top Bottom