August Acquisitions 2023

After a lull one may as well go full throttle...

View attachment 110054

A very nice Lime scented soap and blade samples from a very kind TSR member

And

View attachment 110055

An immaculate AS-D2 from a monkey down south. And I thought it was us northerners who were supposedly the monkeys?

Hope you like the AS-D2 @Satanfriendly, just remember to adjust the angle to around 45 degrees and use a sharp blade and you will get a fantastically smooth shave. The balance of the razor is perfection for me. Japanese and beautiful, just how you like them.

1936 British Gillette Aristocrat (pre #15 set?)
10 minutes after i've made the payment I saw the bent teeth. This really made me think about how much I've spent lately on shaving gear. I don't know if my RAD and all other ADs are cured, but I've switched to a "no more" kind of attitude. I'll buy a product if I will finish all my stock.

Do you happen to know more about the Aristocrats? This seems to be a gen 1, silver plated. The inside of the box is cardboard covered with felt. It seems to be nickel plated, but I'm not sure. I haven't used it yet, but if I really like it, I think I'll have it replated.

20230816_204221.jpg20230816_204228.jpg20230816_204253.jpg20230816_204315.jpg

Not a bad razor if you try and forget about all the plastic, it will give you a perfectly acceptable shave, enjoy! :)

Paul.
+1
I just tried out the WS Classic DE I recently bought for £4.99 (a dry run for a future camping trip).
No brush, just Palmolive Classic cream applied by hand. Initially used the supplied WS blades.
Didn't really like the first pass and, given that I'm not that fond of WS blades, decided to swap out with a Feather (2 previous uses).
What a difference. This cheap and cheerful DE razor is pretty damn good. Audible feedback and a close/"good enough" shave.
Mr Alum block he says yes.
OK, the head gets gummed up a bit and you have to rinse frequently, the grip can get a tad slippy and the blade is a slight faff to get out these are first world problems.
All in all this is a good razor. Happy bunny.

Ap shaveco scratch and dent handle with a tuxedo fan. Had a bad experience with tuxedo before with a yaqi brush, the glue bump was horrendous. Lots of people seem to rate the tuxedo so I thought I'd try again, and ap shaveco are really reliable with the quality of their knots.
View attachment 110199

If you have a problem with Yaqi brushes glue bumps send them an email and request them to send out one with a low glue bump. I did that and they eventually sent out ones that were actually usable.

If you have a problem with Yaqi brushes glue bumps send them an email and request them to send out one with a low glue bump. I did that and they eventually sent out ones that were actually usable.
I couldn't really be bothered tbh the handle went discoloured after a week in a sunny bathroom, I just put it down to experience and stayed away from yaqi. Shame, as they do some nice looking handles.

After a week enjoy sunshine and the lovely beaches of Norfolk I can home to a few treats I had purchased whilst away. Looking forward to trying them out, there might be another couple of goodies arriving soon too. Have a great weekend all.
IMG_7102.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_7110.jpeg
    IMG_7110.jpeg
    108.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_7109.jpeg
    IMG_7109.jpeg
    96 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_7108.jpeg
    IMG_7108.jpeg
    101 KB · Views: 8
Back