Astra Super Platinum

You discovered just like Moody Mick found out using the old Ranger that the Astra SP works better for many in a milder DE razor. Of course, I think a milder razor & any top notch blade make for a far more pleasurable event. ;)

I don't consider the Astra to be the sharpest, nor probably the best blade in town. What I do find is that it strikes a balance of smoothness/sharpness/last-ability/QC. Most importantly for me it is predictably unexciting, a known quantity, so if I use a new razor and I get a bad shave - it's the razor.

Or me.

But probably the razor as I am so awesome.:rolleyes:

MM, did you ever try a Lord Platinum blade yet? For me it parallels the Astra SP and is perhaps a tad bit smoother, of course that being subjective. They are dirt cheap as well.

I don't consider the Astra to be the sharpest, nor probably the best blade in town. What I do find is that it strikes a balance of smoothness/sharpness/last-ability/QC. Most importantly for me it is predictably unexciting, a known quantity, so if I use a new razor and I get a bad shave - it's the razor.

Or me.

But probably the razor as I am so awesome.:rolleyes:
I persevered with the Astra, and stuck one in my English Flare Tip, where it shaved satisfactorily and smoothly. It's still not too high up on my list, but the observations that this blade works better in a milder razor seem spot on.

I persevered with the Astra, and stuck one in my English Flare Tip, where it shaved satisfactorily and smoothly. It's still not too high up on my list, but the observations that this blade works better in a milder razor seem spot on.

There is obviously a relationship between certain blades used with certain razors AND certain soaps/creams. Many a good blade has been binned because perhaps the user was using an inappropriate razor for said blade or perhaps an under achieving soap/cream. As well on the flip side, a top tier soap/cream can make a 2nd tier blade work better sometimes. The Astra SP is the 'workhorse' of the Gillette line IMO. If I use my Schick Krona and a top shelf soap with one it can run with the big dogs and if economics is factored in it's a clear winner.

Just don't tell Moody Mick that I said that. ;)

Day Two of this Astra SP blade/Flare Tip combination, with TFS Ginestra di Taormina soap today. The blade works better on second use, and I wonder if palm-stropping it to begin with might have achieved the same effect (cue laughs all round).
One more day, and it hits the blade bank, but a good result. Thanks for the tips.

Currently Gillette Yellow's are leading the pack to be my first 100 blade purchase. Going back to an Astra SP from a sample pack next blade change to see what I think now I have got a slightly better prep going.

Currently Gillette Yellow's are leading the pack to be my first 100 blade purchase. Going back to an Astra SP from a sample pack next blade change to see what I think now I have got a slightly better prep going.

Just illustrates what a personal experience razor and blade combos are. The yellows just don't do it for me in any razor, always leave a trace of irritation. Gillette greens, now they're another story. Try them if you haven't done so yet.

Regards,
Chris

I have a pack of Greens in the sampler. Tried them when I was clueless. Will have to give them another crack ASAP.

YMMV, certainly, but I get an overall sense of themes that moves through the blades debate (albeit riddled with exceptions). There seems to be those who generally like St Petersburg blades, and those who roam freely elsewhere in the world.

To a certain extent, I find the endless permutations of blade, razor, cream, soap, brush, face later, bowl lather an almost overwhelming prospect. Part of me wants to find a good set up and just go with it - that said, another part of me wants to try everything. What I do want is:

- a Merkur Progress or some other adjustable.
- some sort of TTO
- a slant (probably 37c)

Combined with my Tech, that would represent good basic toolbox to go on with.

Just illustrates what a personal experience razor and blade combos are. The yellows just don't do it for me in any razor, always leave a trace of irritation. Gillette greens, now they're another story. Try them if you haven't done so yet.

Regards,
Chris
S'funny, I always got on better with Yellows than Greens. The obvious conclusion is that you just have to try shit-loads of blades and see what suits.

S'funny, I always got on better with Yellows than Greens. The obvious conclusion is that you just have to try shit-loads of blades and see what suits.

Which green one, MM? IMO, there is a World of difference between the 7 O'CLOCK Perma Sharp (India) & the 7 O'CLOCK Super Stainless (Russia) with the latter being superb and the former far rougher.

Back
Top Bottom