Astra blades

Used the astra platinum last night for the first time,very impressed..whats the differance if any between this and the astra stainless.cheers Slash.

IMO the platinum are way better than the stainless, I found the the stainless to be quite rough where as the platinum were super smooth. Yet I have some other brand stainless blades which are as smooth as the platinum's.

It's always best to try then yourself, What works for some will not necessarily work for you.

I'm sure someone on here would be able to PIF you 1 or 2 to try! I would have done but PIF'd them all a month or so ago.

hunnymonster said:
slash said:
:? So which are the best only tried the green ones..

To me the Keramik & Platinum were acceptable, favouring the Platinum - but sadly/luckily* for you, you don't have my face...

*delete as applicable
I'm not being contrary (well, maybe I am, but I'm not making this up just to be contrary) but I found the ordinary blue stainless ones best, as they produced less irritation than the green ones the OP mentioned (although the greens were still very good). The Keramics were very sharp but produced a bit more irritation for me (may be the coatings).
The blue Astras are my 'go to' blade.

I was lucky enough to have some super platinums pif'd to me (thanks Yellow Jim!)

I found the first shave to be a bit rough, then shaves 2 and 3 to be super smooth and pretty much perfect then shave 4 I started to get nicks on my neck so it was binned after that outing.

Due to the first shave not being perfect, the search is still on for that perfect blade.

Today I just tried a swede. Now I know what all the hype is about, VERY nice blade. It's a shame I only have 2 blades!

Stainless has no coating :mrgreen:
Everything else does
Ahh Sweeedes!!..they aernt made anymore unfortunately..they went to Russia..originally made in..well..Sweden..they are actually similar to my Gillette Bleue Blades..nice n stiff..though nothing is a smooth like a Swede :shave

B

Attachments

• coats.jpg
    360 bytes · Views: 153
Blades said:
Ahh Sweeedes!!..they aernt made anymore unfortunately..they went to Russia..originally made in..well..Sweden..

They were never made in Sweden in recent memory: Originally they were made in country in each large market (so in Isleworth for the UK, in France for the French market, etc), from about 1980 manufacturing was concentrated in Berlin for Europe, then moved eastwards to Lodz, Poland in about 1996 and further east to ZAO Petersburg Products.

I find the Keramicks better in my 34C and Futur than the SP's. Both are good blades and I would tend to use a SP in an EJ razor, a tad sharper blade with the slightly different head on the EJ (which I find a little milder) works well.

I was kindly piffed an Astra (+others) sampler by Max and found the Superior Platinum, on a daily shave, to be similar to 7 o'clock yellows but perhaps not quite as smooth.

I found the Keramik to be an excellent blade on two days growth. No complaints at all in terms of cut and comfort.

Both used in my Techs.

Back
Top Bottom