AS/ EDT - when did they become popular and why

mpf9ret

Supporter
Supporter
When I started Shaving the use of AS was not at all common, and was normally reserved for special occasion’s.From memory there were not many brands on the UK market, and the first one that I used was a Yardley product.I remember Old Spice/ Brut being on the scene when I was in the Forces during the 60s - Weekend use only.
I never came across EDT/ cologne until I returned to proper Wet Shaving around 2015, and am amazed how it is used by people who do not even Shave!!. When did there’s products come into regular use, and why are such vast sums of money spent on EDT/ Cologne.

This is interesting, I was not really aware how usage had increased. I suppose eaux de T/C/P (as opposed to TCP!) aren't directly shaving related, they're just scents, toilette and parfum too strong to go on shaved skin anyway. I suppose it starts with people being conscious of how they smell, wanting to be attractive, and then becoming an everyday confidence booster or luxury. Perhaps an increase in (perceived) affluence, or maybe increased pressure to smell great at all times from magazines and advertisements? As a teenager in the 1980s I probably splashed on a bit of Hai Karate, Brut or Tabac most days once I started working. I have been working from home since Corona and I still put scent on (not necessarily AS) even though I'm not going to meet anyone all day/week. I just do it for me. (It should be noted that I only made wet shaving a hobby during this period, prior to 2020 it was perfunctory use of cartridge razors).

Putting scent on has become like putting on a watch: I don't feel dressed without it. Ironically, wearing watches is becoming a thing of the past amongst younger people. I was out with about 15 work colleagues, all in their 30s. I was the only one with a wristwatch! But I digress.

Last edited:
I was splashing on my dad's Old Spice AS when I was 15, I certainly wasn't Shaving then.
I liked how my dad always smelled of Old Spice and I wanted to smell like him!
I think it was the 80s where Edts for men were being advertised but I would have thought it would have been the south of the country that started using these, the further north you traveled you would have been thought of as a Jessy if you were to wear scent even if it was aimed at the men's market.
Men like to smell good and there is nothing wrong with that as far as I'm concerned and most women like their man to smell good these days.

I agree Paul. I was born somewhat North of where I've lived most of my life which is basically within 1h of London. It probably did take off down here, not that I would consider myself a "southern Jesse!"

Reactions: FJY
Here in the Midlands, men have never had many reservations about smelling nice. When I was much younger, most of the men that I knew reeked of something or other, so I grew up in a "world of smell". I guess that times were very different back then, though. My earliest encounter with aftershave was a workfriend of my father reeking of Aramis, which I loved even back then. He stayed with us for a while when his house was being done up, and I remember smelling him in every room of the house, even hours after he had left for work. Aramis certainly lingered well back then. I still love it today, even though it lacks some of its former power and longevity.

I also recall that EDTs were much rarer back then than they are now. If you wanted to smell nice back then, you really only had two options - a deodorant or a conventional aftershave splash. Aftershave balms were also unheard of when I was younger. These days, of course, EDTs seem to be the dominant force when it comes to men's fragrances. How times have changed.

Back
Top Bottom