Artisinal April?

Maybe we'd like to do a month dedicated to our kit procured from artisinal producers - it might be soaps and splashes, brushes, even razors.

I know the definition of artisinal is somewhat stretched (I mean, what's artisinal about something made in a factory) but we kinda get the definition. Made in the bathtub or on a home workbench by one person who then reached out to industry for help getting the volume and meeting any required market stipulations. There, that's the get-out clause for practically all the "artisinal" kit we're likely to have ... but we kinda know where the line gets drawn.

I don't suppose we need a formal sign-up. I'm going to take the opportunity to concentrate on such kit in my den.

Maybe we'd like to do a month dedicated to our kit procured from artisinal producers - it might be soaps and splashes, brushes, even razors.

I know the definition of artisinal is somewhat stretched (I mean, what's artisinal about something made in a factory) but we kinda get the definition. Made in the bathtub or on a home workbench by one person who then reached out to industry for help getting the volume and meeting any required market stipulations. There, that's the get-out clause for practically all the "artisinal" kit we're likely to have ... but we kinda know where the line gets drawn.

I don't suppose we need a formal sign-up. I'm going to take the opportunity to concentrate on such kit in my den.
Hmmm would you consider Blackland, stando and Occam's razors in that category?
I would sign up but really want to get to grips with the first two.

Yes, I think they'd fit into that "one man design and prototype with industrial outsourcing to meet demand" thing ... but then so does Neil Jagger. Like I'd say Wickham's shaving soap is artisinal but under no illusion that Darron is stirring up batches in his bathtub! Someone churning out Chinese melt-and-pour with some scented candle oil as a cottage industry is not.

Software wise, I’m certainly in. P&B’s Spitfire plus Britannia and Coria from Signature Soaps will be enjoyed regularly and I’ve also got a couple of offerings from Seaside Soap & Skincare. Pine, Vetiver and Patchouli as well as Peppermint.

Hardware wise, I’ll stick to using my own hand-carved brushes but I’m more an ARSEisan that an ARTisan! However the razor will be an R89 on the 80mm ikon Bulldog handle. Shave wise, I can’t see past it and the only razor I’ve found better albeit to a tiny margin is the Gamechanger 0.68. I’m hoping the Jupiter is as good as ‘89 if not the GC. Even if it lands in the middle or simply matches the venerable forebear, I’m having one under the guise of my half century birth anniversary thing gift to self.

I started a thread for 'Artisan April' last year and my opening rule is 'There are no rules!'

My 'artisan' soaps seem to get overlooked, and I will try to give the ones from Signature Soaps (etc) a bit more usage. I think it's a good thing to extend it to brushes, aftershaves and so on.

I'm pretty much down to a good spread of Wickham's, one OSP and a couple of oddities (BeeClean and Lasheba) so really it's a Wickham's month. HWF was seen in February and my La Savonniere du Moulin will be out in full force for Milky May.

I've no artisan brushes or razors ... or splashes.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom