Artisan Shaving Soap (Mark 3) Testing...

Grating the soap into a bowl made loading a little easier but results are the same. Very nearly there but lather could last a bit longer.

Good luck with it. It's good to see you taking the effort to make it top quality.

artisansoap said:
Arrowhead - I'm glad to hear the lather isn't the worst you've seen. I must be getting somewhere after all :lol: . I look forward to hearing how it is to shave with when you use your safety razor, and I certainly wouldn't want you to use a cut-throat with a lather you weren't happy with :shock: . I'm also glad that you like the smell - I'm rather proud of that particular blend :cool:
Oh, it's a long way from being the worst, trust me. The very worst ever is actually a bit pricey - I have a vested interest in not naming names but Sonny will be smiling to himself. By the way, on reflection I agree with the poster who said that the scent is better wet than dry. I haven't the foggiest notion why that might be, but now that my nose seems to working again it's quite evident.

So yes, I did shave with it, in a very circumspect sort of way, and using a well known combination of razor and blade (Rocket and UK Wilkinson, chaps). I just could not build the lather to a creamy stable consistency in a bowl or directly on my face, and wound up relathering in the course of a single pass. I didn't feel that the soap gave me much protection, cushion or glide, and I would not use it with a cut throat.

HOWEVER: this is by no means unprecedented, in fact I've said exactly the same about soaps from our other artisan makers (with the exception of Henk) during their development phases. For my purposes that airy texture (you can hear the bubbles bursting) will have to go, and the stability will have to be improved a great deal before I give this soap the thumbs up, so a tweak to the recipe is definitely indicated.

That said, there's a very good shaving soap to be had here if you get those physical properties sorted. For one thing the scent is appealing and rather distinctive, and for another the after shave skin feel is very good indeed, outstanding even. I've made a point of being straight with you in my comments here, but you certainly shouldn't be discouraged by them ... I hope that you'll find this helpful.

Arrowhead said:
........... and for another the after shave skin feel is very good indeed, outstanding even..

Agree with that one, have used it each day since it arrived and never used anything A/S

CanucksTraveller said:
I agree with the poster who said that the scent is better wet than dry

That was me. I thought there was something not altogether pleasant on the dry soap, but it's very much more pleasant when wet.

Once again, agree with those comments

Hi Artisan,

After shaving with this soap now for the past two days I have came to my conclusion. The lather produced seemed fine, if a bit too foamy on each occasion and taking a while to produce. Due to this foaminess it is far too unstable for me to want to use this again as it is. The lather starts disappearing far too early during each pass. I think this is probably due to the airy nature of the lather - I could also here popping of air bubbles when the razor was gliding over. Cushion and slick is OK, but there is numerous products out there that perform better within this department in my honest opinion. On the plus side, I did notice the soap left my face feeling nice and moisturised. However, this moisturising aspect is less important than other attributes (cushion, glide and stability) for shaving soaps in my opinion. The scent was nice, but far too distant for my liking.

All in all, the marketable version of this soap will have to produce a stable lather that is far less foamy, easier to build, and, in my opinion, a scent that is bit longer lasting too. Only once the above is achieved would I part with my cash for it.

Sorry that this isn't good news, but I didn't want to say it was performing like something that it wasn't.

I've gave this a few goes now. My thoughts are:

Scent, it's nice, just wish there was more of it!

Slickness, it's there. A very slick soap.

Lather quality, I just found that it was too airy for me, I like thick dense lathers as these give me the best shaves.

Also lather building, as the soap is pretty hard, you need to either load the brush alot or start to create a lather on the puck and then take it to your face/bowl/palm.

I also find that it's not too drying on your face either.

Overall it's better then 1 and 2 but still not quite there!

Thanks for the feedback :D Keep it coming ;)

I've been reading over the feedback from marks 1, 2 and 3 in detail. I have a few ideas as to what needs changing - I just need to make sure that I don't lose the good qualities the soap already has :geek:

Going to be experimenting for a couple of days with adjusted formulae, and will be 'cooking' them to speed up the time at which I can test them. I have a brush now, and have found a suitable bowl in the kitchen, so I'll be looking for creamy close lather that lasts :p Assuming that I get one that might fit the bill, there should be a mark 4 to test in the future. :p

Thanks Again Chaps!!!!!!!! All this in-depth feedback is invaluable :D

Artisan :)

Back
Top Bottom