Artisan Shaving Soap (Mark 2) Testing...

I'd very much like to try out your soap at some stage, Artisan, but truth to tell the number of soap samples in the bathroom at the moment is getting a little out of hand, and there's more in the post. Which farmers' markets do you get to by the way?

OK after this mornings poor shave I had sufficient stubble to give this a try tonight.

A step closer but as far as I'm concerned not not arrived at the destination quite yet, again its the longevity of the lather which is the issue. While I found the lather broke down a bit too rapidly it was substantially better, to the extent that I wouldn't be surprised if soft water users find it works for them.

+ 1 on Jeltz really. I used my 2201 and it lathered up quite promisingly on my face, and was ok for the first couple of razor strokes, but well before I was halfway across my face the first time the lather just fizzled out. I had to relather several times to complete each pass. That said, before the lather ran out it was nice and quite cushioning, and my skin felt quite good afterwards.

Hurrah! A step in the right direction! :D :shave :D

More stability needed. O.K. Formulation head on - we can do that! ;)

Can I please just check a couple of things out Chaps, so that I have your feedback straight in my own mind. :)
  • Was the lather (as long as it lasted) the kind of lather you are looking for? was it creamy / bubbley enough?[/list:u]
    • Did you actually get to shaving with it? And if so, did you get a close enough / comfortable enough shave?[/list:u]
      • Was there sufficient 'slip'?[/list:u]
        • How comfortable is your skin after using the soap?[/list:u]

I'm asking these, because I don't want to lose the other aspects of the soap if I can help it. I'd prefer to have a shaving soap with thick, lasting lather AND good slip AND fast lathering AND nice after feel - but then wouldn't we all? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Again, MANY THANKS for being willing testers - I really do appreciate it ;) :D

Arrowhead : I'd be delighted if you were to try some of my soap at some point :shave
          I was at Ashton farmers' market on Sunday. Tameside is one of the few councils which seem to like their markets. You never get the impression you are in the way of a car parking development they have planned. :lol: I also do Mossley farmers' market (also in Tameside). Much smaller, but I have some good customers there and it is in a lovely spot.

Artisan :)

I look forward to that Artisan, now that the flood of soap samples has dwindled to a trickle - just the two today :lol: I confess that I had to check where Tameside is ("down North"); I was rather hoping you'd say Settle or Ripon. Both of which may as well be on the moon right now, given the weather.

artisansoap said:
Can I please just check a couple of things out Chaps, so that I have your feedback straight in my own mind. :)
OK, I'll do my best.
  • Was the lather (as long as it lasted) the kind of lather you are looking for? was it creamy / bubbley enough?[/list:u]

• Pretty much, maybe a little less "body" than I like but I may have been able to improve that myself by adjusting the ratio of water.
    • Did you actually get to shaving with it? And if so, did you get a close enough / comfortable enough shave?[/list:u]
    • As it didn't last I gave it a swift pass. To get close and comfortable you need the lather to last so its a bit of a mutually exclusive question, IMHO :ugeek:

• Seemed fine.
        • Felt good but with the caveat that I have oily skin and its very rare that it ever feels dry.

artisansoap said:

• The lather quality and consistency was fine, the problem being by the time you had put the brush down and picked the razor up it started to degrade, and after a couple of strokes of the razor it was necessarily to re lather! I did shave with it, and the quality of slip/shave was fine. And as I said above my skin felt nicely moisturised.

If you need any future testers please feel free to pm me, as said in another thread on here, new to this and wanting to try out many different soaps, would be more then happy to give constructive feedback.

Thanks for the detailed quatTrojames, it is very informative ;)

I'm sorry I didn't thank you earlier, but I've just got back from a long weekend in Bruges :D :D :D Is there an emoticon for smug? :lol: Belgian beer, Belgian chocolate, and a bit of Christmas shopping - heaven ;)

Back to reality... There is a mark3 soap already made - I'm looking at it now :) It should be ready for testing in a couple of weeks time, and I anticipate a more stable lather ((crosses fingers)). I've also scented it with my citrus sunrise blend of essential oils so I feel hungry now :lol:

I still await with baited breath anything my other wonderful testers have to add about mark2 though :shave

cozzyb : Welcome aboard! Glad to hear that you are game for testing soaps, there will be a mark3 soap available for testing soon ;)

Thanks again

Finally a chance to write something about this! Sorry for the delay.

I found this soap better then the first one. Better slip and not as drying.

Only problem I has was lather stability. I like my rather to be quite dense. I just couldn't get this as thick and slick as I liked.

It's going in the right direction, keep it up!

I too used this for the first times last night and found it a huge improvement on the first one. The lather was not as rich as other commercial soaps and does not "cover" as well either. However, the shaving experience was smoth and pleasant so all in all not a bad effort.

If it could be changed to create a denser lather you would be on to a winner.

Hurrah! Thank you Chaps :D

So there seems to be adequate slip, nice afterfeel etc - the consesus seems to be that it just needs more stability :shave

We seem to be getting somewhere ;)

I'll definitely be sending out samples of the mark3 shaving soap when it's ready, so thank you again for all of your very helpful feedback :D :D :D

I haven't tried Mark Two yet, but I will – sorry, it's been deadline week, and - if you look at the time I am posting – you'll notice that it's a bit late. I have just finished for the night/day (whatever)…

Will catch up on my testing when I come back to life… Though I have the daughter's birthday party to attend later, er, today...

Must. Get. Some. Sleep.

Lipsy

Back
Top Bottom