Arrgh! ATG Razor Burn!

Whenever I've tried against the grain shaving I've always cut myself. This weekend and again this morning I was brave and built a gentle against the grain pass into my routine. I didn't cut myself this time, and it certainly provides a close shave, so much so that I was starting to wonder if my ordering an adjustable had become redundant.

Nope!

I've got horrible razor burn on my neck - ouch :( Actually I think I've got 2 days worth of razor burn but didn't feel it until I had finished today. I have read that many guys skin just can't handle against the grain - I think I am one of them.

I will not be going against the grain again. When my adjustable comes I will simply try to make my with and across the grain passes closer.

Lesson learned.

you will be able to do it without irritation but it takes some time to get the technique down.Sensible option is to stay WTG.

Too late, it's in the post...when you're ready you can crank it up. You'll know when or even if you need to go ATG.

but for an uber finish you don't need to go ATG but if you really want to you can do it on a very low setting and hopefully avoid the pain.

Sharp blade of course, proper prep, lather etc etc and the very last pass make it the fourth or even fifth Charles Robert style.

It can take a few weeks for skin to adjust to using a DE, you may be able to do a pass against the grain but I would leave it for now. Stick to going with and across the grain and aim for a decent shave with minimal irritation.

Nothing worse than when your neck is on fire.

I just experienced another thing that is wonderful about DE shaving. Since I had overcooked it the last couple of days, I just did one pass this morning to give my skin a chance to heal. Although I was rough to the touch I still looked presentable for work.

Can't do that with a Mach 3 :)

PS - I'll let you know when the Slim arrives antdad.

That is the nice thing isn't it. Even if you're in a hurry a single DE pass is far closer than my old Philishave and a damn sight more comfortable!
Still find I can't shave everyday tho but I can still pass muster on day two after a close one, just about anyway! ;)

i also struggle with my neck. i've been doing this about 2 months now and am just starting to work through a blade sampler pack. i've used red personnas until now, but am on my first gillette super platinum. i'm also still using TOBS avocado. i did try a couple of soaps, but didn't get very good results, so obviously my lathering technique needs some work. i'll sort this on weekends, when i have more time.

the hairs on my neck run mostly NW to SE, so this is the direction of my first pass. that's fine. 2nd pass is straight N to S. on the 3rd pass I try NE to SW, but even that feels like it's pulling. it's not a blunt blade, as it does it every time. i'm working on my shave technique, as well as my lather, so hopefully, one day, it will just click.

it's still very enjoyable and takes about 15 - 20 minutes start to finish. and yes, the result of even a poor DE shave is so much better than i used to get on a *good* day with the electric :D

Certainly any wet shave is better than an electric. You can get a really good shave with any razor as long as you have decent soap and a brush, I had to use a cartridge recently and the Sensor is my tool of choice for that instance.

If you can achieve a passable shave going with and across you might want to avoid going against.

I still can’t do it without major irritation (Space left for pigcat). If you ask any barber that offers a straight shave they don’t recommend going against the grain.

Back
Top Bottom