ARKO Shave Stick

there are actually 10 types of people in the world, those who know binary and those who don't

*insert groan smiley here*

we had an apprentice start working with us and he was less than 10yrs younger than me but he wasn't taught fractions at school :roll:

so when he was sent for a 1/2" drill bit and came back empty handed we sent him for a 5/10ths, then a 6/12ths and an 11/22nd etc etc
he didn't know they're the same thing.

he was good with decimals though so he knew what a 0.500 was but none of the bits are stamped like that.
he ended up leaving to be an engineer in the merchant navy :lol:

I remember my first lesson in further maths at A-level - the teacher, who was older than the earth itself, wrote on the board "2 + 2 =" and we sat there for nearly 20 minutes discussing the question and it's possible answers and all of the assumptions that might be made... :shock:

Is it base 10 ? There's nothing to say it is, or indeed isn't
Does "+" mean add (or might it mean something else)?
Does "=" mean equals (or might it mean something else)?

I also remember when I was working in a lab at Sunderland Poly that we kept sending the apprentice technician to the stores (a good 10 minute walk away) for the traditional favorites "a long stand", "a long weight", "tartan paint" (he was sent back to ask if "plaid was acceptable"), left-handed screwdrivers, etc.

sparks for the grinder, bubble for the level.

we actually got someone with the 'sky-hook'

3 of us were on a scaffold struggling with a heavy valve when we shouted down for the boy to get a sky-hook as we couldn't hold it any longer :lol:
off he shot like a train to get one from the riggers howf to be promptly told to eff off by the chargehand

he came back and threw some bolts at us so when we got down we molested him, ah the good old days :D

A "Glass Hammer" was always a good one.......... some people used to say go and find me some "Blue Sky Hooks" too but then I found out that "Sky Hooks" do exist. They are used in rock/mountain climbing.

I bet those mountaineering sky hooks were invented by some abused engineering apprentice who needed to work through some issues :lol:

If any one is desperate for an Arko shave stick, I saw them in the Turkish barbers in York today. They are £3 each (don't know if that is the going rate or not).

Happy to pick one up and forward at cost if interested

Keith

Hi Keith

I wouldn't mind trying one. I have been using a De Vergulde Hand Shaving stick recently and it is superb. It has peaked my interest in other low cost sticks. Please let me know the final price and your paypal address (or I can send you a cheque).

No rush, just next time you are passing.

Cheers!

David

I use the ARKO stick a fair bit; they are real lather machines. The smell is not to everyones taste but you soon get used to it.

They are very low cost from mymikado on ebay (as are other shaving goodies) but for a one off the Turkish barber in York seems to be rather reasonable.

Good stuff and well worth a try!

:shave

Just checked out the ebay link

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://shop.ebay.co.uk/mymikado/m.html?_trkparms=65%253A12%257C66%253A2%257C39%253A1%257C72%253A2471&_ipg=&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14&_pgn=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://shop.ebay.co.uk/mymikado/m.html? ... m14&_pgn=1</a><!-- m -->

and we could buy 6 sticks for £10.88 inc P&P. If there are two other people interested in two sticks each, I will order this way. Cost inc P&P would be approx £4.62 (for 2 sticks).

chicken neck said:
Just checked out the ebay link

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://shop.ebay.co.uk/mymikado/m.html?_trkparms=65%253A12%257C66%253A2%257C39%253A1%257C72%253A2471&_ipg=&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14&_pgn=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://shop.ebay.co.uk/mymikado/m.html? ... m14&_pgn=1</a><!-- m -->

and we could buy 6 sticks for £10.88 inc P&P. If there are two other people interested in two sticks each, I will order this way. Cost inc P&P would be approx £4.62 (for 2 sticks).

You just beat me to this as I saw it on ebay as well. Even for a single shavestick it still works out cheaper than me buying in York

The same seller also usually sells the single sicks for £2.80 delivered.

Still happy to get one locally but the postage is about £1.20 on top of the £3 purchase price.

Back
Top Bottom