Are Weishi / Lord worth bothering with?

I am a relative new comer to safety razor shaving, been using an Edwin Jagger DE89bl since April, definitely like the way it shaves. There are a couple of things I don't like which mean I am looking for another :

- The handle seems too short (to me)
- It is slippy (the chrome handle has not much in the way of grips)
- I don't like changing blades, I think I'll slice one of my fingers soon

Anyway, I bought as an experiment to try safety razors. I guess I would like to buy a something a bit more long term. I guess a butterfly design with a grippy slightly longer handle that shaves similarly to my EJ.

Q : Are the cheap and obvious Weishi / Lord razors worthy bothering with or should I spend more money?

Oh, and I don't like the Merkur Vision - it looks weird.

Chunks

Chunkers said:
I am a relative new comer to safety razor shaving, been using an Edwin Jagger DE89bl since April, definitely like the way it shaves. There are a couple of things I don't like which mean I am looking for another :

Anyway, I bought as an experiment to try safety razors. I guess I would like to buy a something a bit more long term. I guess a butterfly design with a grippy slightly longer handle that shaves similarly to my EJ.

Q : Are the cheap and obvious Weishi / Lord razors worthy bothering with or should I spend more money?

Chunks

Why dont you try a Gillette? Pm Frenchblade or Sunburyboy or just watch the BST forum. A slim or a superspeed would be well worth a try.

For instance http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=9190

49er said:
Why dont you try a Gillette? Pm Frenchblade or Sunburyboy or just watch the BST forum. A slim or a superspeed would be well worth a try.

For instance http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=9190

Good idea! I will try a PM

Chunks

Chunkers said:

Chunks

[/quo

I've got both and use both of them, of the 2 I like the LORD L6 the best, it;s a 3 piece non adjustable. Both give a mild close shave. I have in my collection 40 plus razors available to use from Gillette's and Gems back to the 1920's to Gillette Fat Boys from the 1960's. I'd still recommend a LORD for an inexpensive razor, spend more if you wish but I doubt the shave will be any better. Also remember to use a quality blade and soap.

I'd recommend the Merkur 23C. It doesn't have a lot of fans here as it tends to be too long for some (me included) but other than that it shaves like the famous 34C and not that differently to a Jagger head, it just has a nice long slim handle with the same machine knurling popular on the 34C. No slipping, pretty much guaranteed.
http://www.executive-shaving.co.uk/shaving/safety-razors/safety-shaving-razor-23.php

If you liked the Jagger head I wouldn't go vintage just yet, try a Merkur or a Muhle as they're a better comparison. Muhle are the exact same head, just with different handles.

Oh and Jagger now do a "Barley" finish which might suit you more, though it doesn't solve your longer handle problem:
http://www.shaving.ie/products/Edwin-Jagger-Barley-DE89BA11.html

In any case I think the Lord and the Weishi's are a poor replacement.

Quote: In any case I think the Lord and the Weishi's are a poor replacement.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What is this based on? I do see they cost approx 3 times as much.

Chunkers said:
I guess I would like to buy a something a bit more long term. I guess a butterfly design with a grippy slightly longer handle that shaves similarly to my EJ.

Look out for a vintage Gillette black handle super adjustable.

jcwit said:
What is this based on? I do see they cost approx 3 times as much.

Yes, maybe I'm being a bit of a razor snob. I've just always thought that the Weishi's are pretty much Gillette Superspeed copies and the Lords are like a long handled Gillette Tech copy, loosely speaking. If you want a Gillette then I've always thought that's what you should get, there are plenty knocking around.

I sometimes don't always see things from other people's point of view and so if you can afford a Lord but not a Gillette or Merkur then why not. They're not all that bad, just nowhere near as solid feeling and as balanced as a Merkur. They're made to a different price point, that's all.

I have a Weishi that I bought as my first DE razor a few months ago, only used it a couple of time as I found this forum and soon was the owner of a FlairTip Rocket which I love.

I found that the Weishi was an ok shave and a decent starter for somebody who may be on a budget or may want to try DE shaving wthout blowing a lot of cash on something they may not like. There are lots of better razors out there though.

If you do want to try the Weishi, PM me your address and I'll send mine on to you for a try if you like. If you like it, keep it, but if you don't then pass it on to another person who may want to try. It has only been used 3 times maximum and so is in brand new condition.

Cheers

Jonno

There we go, now we're on track Gentleman.

With the above said I still prefer my LORD L6, however I did modify it by drilling out the alu. handle and adding addition weight which changed the balance.

jcwit said:
There we go, now we're on track Gentleman.

With the above said I still prefer my LORD L6, however I did modify it by drilling out the alu. handle and adding addition weight which changed the balance.

Like you I've found the Lord razors to be a bit lightweight in the handle but I haven't tried modifying them to add weight. Other than that they are not bad razors, cheap enough, but something I would use as a travel razor rather than a daily shaver. I have one that seems to be a copy of a Tech and the other has a head more like a Merkur.

The Weishi is actually quite a well made razor, I've got a satin finish and it's a good copy of a superspeed. One thing I think they got wrong is the blade gap/aggression, it's milder than a superspeed and in my opinion too mild.

I tend to agree, price-wise a good SS might cost you a bit more then a Weishi, but they're 50 odd years old, the chances of them dying on you are very slim.

I had a Weishi, because I wanted to try it, and it was cheap.. I think I used it twice, and then piffed it on.

Max

I've actually got a Lord L6 which is'nt bad , feels a bit light . And I've got 3 weishi's (picked them up as a job lot for not much )
the weishi's are'nt bad at all , I liked the look of the gunmetal one . But they definitely are'nt as good as a merkur or gillette.

Back
Top Bottom