Anyone Play Cricket?

As the title says? Anyone play?

What standard do you play and where?

Me, I play in the Surrey Championship 4th XI Premier Division. Not particularly good, but being captain, I get in the team every week!

I played for about 25 years - later at a reasonable standard - but regular second XI. Claims to fame:
- I kept wicket in my early days and once took 4 catches in successive balls - same bowler and same over.
- In one league match my son and me were both playing and the wicket keeper had the same surname but was no relation. My son took 4 wickets, I took two, he caught one of mine and I caught one of his and the wicketkeeper took 3 of the others. It took quite some explaining to the guy who kept statistics each season - especially as my son shares my first name.

I played cricket all through primary school and secondary school. When I came to Canada 50 years ago to attend university, however, I stopped playing as there weren't any clubs around; I was in Montreal. Nonetheless, I still enjoy watching the game. When I played at school I was a middling player, usually on the B team for my age group.

I haven't played cricket since I left college. But I loved it with a deep and abiding passion and miss playing. Mind you I wasn't particularly good. Enthusiastic maybe, but not very good!

Didn't go to a cricket playing school or grew up in area that had a cricket club nearby. If there is one thing I could change about my childhood it would be that, as I have grown to appeciate the game immensley.

I started at primary school, got the bug properly watching '81 Ashes series with my father, was progressing nicely as a fairly nippy swing bowler (hat trick in a schools league game) and then went and well and truly trashed my left knee when I was 16 (dislocation and severe ligament damage, followed by 6 months of physio). Still follow the game a lot, but playing since then has been restricted to the occasional non-competitive match.

My league season starts tomorrow. played my first game of the seas a couple of weeks ago when it was freezing... What a change!

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

last summer, was the first summer since i was a boy that i didn't play any cricket, i'm 48. love the game, played mostly sunday friendlies but had a few seasons of decent league cricket too, my kids are getting into it too now, so i think it will be a short retirement!

Back
Top Bottom