Anyone into calligraphy? How & Where to Start?

black hole lsd GIF by Feliks Tomasz Konczakowski
Not Another Rabbit Hole

Buy a calligraphy set, but one with nibs and pen holders for dip pens only. Don't think about calligraphy fountain pens, at the moment.

Arabic script is thin and thick lines, much like any other, and any set that includes a range of italic nibs would work.

However, there's certainly a community interested in that particular area, and it's definitely worthwhile to browse around to find others who have direct knowledge of this art.

Last edited:
Get yourself a pen ... get yourself some ink ... get doodlin'?

Look at dip pens ... and the staggering array of nibs you can get. Often you'll get a set of nibs for literally peanuts.

Have fun!
Something half decent off Amazon maybe?

Does it have to be with ink?

Really need to Google it but been busy since creating this thread lol

Buy a calligraphy set, but one with nibs and pen holders for dip pens only. Don't think about calligraphy fountain pens, at the moment.

Arabic script is thin and thick lines, much like any other, and any set that includes a range of italic nibs would work.

However, there's certainly a community interested in that particular area, and it's definitely worthwhile to browse around to find others who have direct knowledge of this art.
I'll Google and try to find some forums thanks

Something about Arabic calligraphy which looks amazing

From what I've seen of Arabic calligraphy, it's an italic point on the end of a stick which is dipped into pigment ... some sort of ink.

I'm not sure if handedness makes a difference with dip pen nibs, but Arabic would warrant left-handed or non-handedness in the pen.

In the end, it's just making marks on something ...

From what I've seen of Arabic calligraphy, it's an italic point on the end of a stick which is dipped into pigment ... some sort of ink.

I'm not sure if handedness makes a difference with dip pen nibs, but Arabic would warrant left-handed or non-handedness in the pen.

In the end, it's just making marks on something ...
Honestly I think I'm going to be useless at it but want to try it for a bit of fun, so nothing too serious lol

Honestly I think I'm going to be useless at it but want to try it for a bit of fun, so nothing too serious lol
Looks to me like a lovely art form ... I wouldn't worry about "doing it right" but get on in there and "get doing it". I don't think there is a right or wrong. Pick the word or words you want and play around with the shape to better convey the meaning.

In the oriental sense, calligraphy is about practicing (gong fu in discipline, yes related to kung fu ... which means skill developed through practice) and achieving perfection through repetition ... but is should be mindful, not just mechanical repetition. The beauty is in the result of having practiced.

Looks to me like a lovely art form ... I wouldn't worry about "doing it right" but get on in there and "get doing it". I don't think there is a right or wrong. Pick the word or words you want and play around with the shape to better convey the meaning.

In the oriental sense, calligraphy is about practicing (gong fu in discipline, yes related to kung fu ... which means skill developed through practice) and achieving perfection through repetition ... but is should be mindful, not just mechanical repetition. The beauty is in the result of having practiced.
Yea I suppose you're right as when it comes to art imperfections are what makes things look perfect (y)

Back
Top Bottom