Anyone here have a Kia electric car,

Satanfriendly

Supporter
Supporter
LeJog 2022 Finisher
Anyone own or uses a Kia all electric car?

I have a Kia EV6 on free loan for between 3 months and 2 years which is very nice and lovely to drive. But.....

I am having great issues with the 12V battery draining. Can't believe there is a 12V motorbike battery as a spare to 'jump start' (yes electric cars can be) but hey, it gets me up and running when needed.

However am I just missing something when shutting it down? I am sure I am switching everything off but it still drains within a couple of weeks.

Any help or guidance appreciated

Anyone own or uses a Kia all electric car?

I have a Kia EV6 on free loan for between 3 months and 2 years which is very nice and lovely to drive. But.....

I am having great issues with the 12V battery draining. Can't believe there is a 12V motorbike battery as a spare to 'jump start' (yes electric cars can be) but hey, it gets me up and running when needed.

However am I just missing something when shutting it down? I am sure I am switching everything off but it still drains within a couple of weeks.

Any help or guidance appreciated

Good question, my neighbour has a Hyundai EV, they were no help at all when I asked your question, didn't even know about any 12v system on their car.

I thought that when an EV is plugged into a wall socket or fast charger, the 12-volt battery is usually charged at the same time. Are you certain that there isn't some tiny item which is being left on, for example a boot or glove box bulb?

I am assuming that your Kia is new, otherwise I would be suggesting loose or dirty battery terminals apart from that do you have anything left plugged in such as a Go Pro, do you use the car regularly, and do you leave the keys in the house and out of range?

Last edited:
Most definitely a 12V system in there. It is used to start up the main system. If it's flat it won't even do the basic functions and you need to use the good old manual key to even open it. If you can get a 12v 'jump' it is enough to say 'start'

thought that when an EV is plugged into a wall socket or fast charger, the 12-volt battery is usually charged at the same time. Are you certain that there isn't some tiny item which is being left on, for example a boot or glove box bulb?

I might have thought the same, but it does charge off the main batteries once running. That is where my issue lies. Switch off. Go do whatever. Come back and dead. I keep going through all the system and can't find anything causing it to drain which is where I thought best ask in case there is something I am missing.

A spare 12V jump source appears to be a 'must have' as it seems I am not alone.

I might end up speaking to Kia UK and see what they say

Many thanks your reply though and appreciated.

As much as I like the car I am not entirely sold on EV's as yet

Think I may have found the reason.

Apparently when you switch the car off you have to depress the brake pedal, otherwise it will go in to 'accessories mode' and run background functions for one hour.

Hoping this resolves the issue.

Why are cars so unnecessarily complicated these days? If you bought the car and want to read the manual you might benefit from these extra features.
If you're hiring it for a day it's not so appealing.

Reactions: PHR
Why are cars so unnecessarily complicated these days? If you bought the car and want to read the manual you might benefit from these extra features.
If you're hiring it for a day it's not so appealing.

My recent experience is saying 'I agree entirely'. Yes it's a nice long term loan, but it has been fraught with issues and having to relearn the art of driving

I really thought, electric, great. Charge, on, go. Not quite. With all the damn modes it took me a week to find out which is best for me (oddly the simplist and similar to an automatic). Then scared to switch things on as the mileage remaining shoots down. As for 'Lane assist' which nearly became a 'collision assist' once, you can sod that one. Battery management, menus, excessive driver information, 12V battery issues, Etc etc etc, and the list goes on.

Which is a shame really as it is very nice to drive although my Vauxhall VXR can out perform it on windy B roads. This Kia squirms all-over the place if you nail it off a roundabout. Still a nice car in many ways.

But the biggest issue. Try charging the thing in rural Yorkshire.

Not sold at all and my next car will definitely be another combustion vehicle.

Regarding the squirminess ... I have a MHEV Kia and by turning the lane discipline off (most important) and moving to Normal or Sport mode, the balance of the car changes entirely! For folks who actually know how to drive all the assistance is counter-productive. That said, collision assist has saved me twice now ... both occasions with the car in front literally doing a dead stop in moving traffic to rubberneck.

One of my dreams is to spend Christmas or the winter holidays in Yorkshire!
Wow I love it
I have a house in Yorkshire and a family from Hampshire is staying here, they come up every winter, they are football mad, they have been coming for 15 years. Each day they go to local grounds, Bradford, Sheffield, Rotherham, Doncaster and so on, they just knock on the door and ask if they come in! They have a walk around, touch the grass and everyone stops and says hi, they are treated like old friends and are invited to the dining room if there is a corporate lunch on. They say that there is no possibility of this welcome at their local clubs.

A lot of this is down to the popularity of the many TV shows like All Creatures and the farm program on Ch 5 with the two brothers, forget the name.

I have a house in Yorkshire and a family from Hampshire is staying here, they come up every winter, they are football mad, they have been coming for 15 years. Each day they go to local grounds, Bradford, Sheffield, Rotherham, Doncaster and so on, they just knock on the door and ask if they come in! They have a walk around, touch the grass and everyone stops and says hi, they are treated like old friends and are invited to the dining room if there is a corporate lunch on. They say that there is no possibility of this welcome at their local clubs.

A lot of this is down to the popularity of the many TV shows like All Creatures and the farm program on Ch 5 with the two brothers, forget the name.
Wow thanks so much for your reply .
Great people !
I am Italian from Rome but I always had a sort of passion/mania for Yorkshire and villages, small towns .
Magical atmosphere.
I was planning a trip then suddenly covid, the loss of my father.
I don't know how many YouTube videos I've seen since years ! Lol
I hope I can realize my dream soon.

I have a house in Yorkshire

Likewise. We have my dad's bungalow in Market Weighton. Instead of selling when he passed we decided to hold on to it as it is my part of the world originally.

Well Goole to be more precise, but most people say 'where?'. And they think it is being funny to crack the joke, 'Does that make you a Goolie ha ha ha?'. Actually it does, and yes if there were two of us we'd be a pair of goolies'

Back
Top Bottom