Anyone an idea of why my 'sytem restore' doesn't work?

My laptop runs windows 7, and is a pretty robust machine. Last week, I had occasion to try and use 'system restore'. It went through the motions, but ended up rebooting saying it was unable to complete the restore and took no action. After a bit of 'googling' I discovered that often anti virus software screws the process up. So, I actually removed my anti virus (AVG) using the proper procedure (using the removal tool, booting up in safe mode, and removing) etc, so it was totally removed. Tried 'system restore' again, and it still didn't work.

Anyone any idea what is stopping 'system restore' from functioning correctly?

StephenShave said:
My laptop runs windows 7, and is a pretty robust machine. Last week, I had occasion to try and use 'system restore'. It went through the motions, but ended up rebooting saying it was unable to complete the restore and took no action. After a bit of 'googling' I discovered that often anti virus software screws the process up. So, I actually removed my anti virus (AVG) using the proper procedure (using the removal tool, booting up in safe mode, and removing) etc, so it was totally removed. Tried 'system restore' again, and it still didn't work.

Have you set a back up point?

Is it giving you the option of what point you want to restore to?

gazza said:
StephenShave said:

Have you set a back up point?

Is it giving you the option of what point you want to restore to?

Yes, like I said, it goes through the motions of doing a restore, but on reboot, gives the message that it hasn't actually done it...

antdad said:
You need a certain amount of disk allocation for a system restore so make sure you have enough, if you have try it from safe mode.

I have a 250Gb hard drive - I've used around 20Gb. I also tried from 'safe mode', got exactly the same result. It allows me to select a restore point. Starts processing it, looks as if it is doing a restore, than when it reboots, get the message, "system restore did not complete successfully, your computer's systems & files were not changed"

Haven't experienced this issue, have had the odd restore point fail, but a subsequent one would usually work.

Some suggestions here -

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-performance/why-windows-7-system-restore-fails-every-time/17042096-44e9-400f-83f9-bc7afd9ce44d

Back
Top Bottom