Any Guitar Players?

Play a bit of guitar, but I'm primarily a bass player.

I played in my first band at the tender age of....35, just a local pub covers band, and have played at a few UKMG do's as well. Packed in the covers band after almost 3 years of playing the same set, and got a bit bored.

Still regularly pick up the bass and play along to iTunes.

Ian

I can play all of a guitar. I play it left-handed though.

Also play bass somewhat.

Though to my core I am a drummer.

There's nothing like the buzz of playing live. I was in a pub/covers band for a few years in my late twenties and early thirties, I still miss it. The problem with being a drummer, though, is the inordinate amount of kit you have to carry around compared to everyone else.

Well I'm trying to learn at the moment - aside from yet another acquisition-based hobby, any tips for practice routines etc?

I have a load of tabs and books, but I'm struggling to get into a set 15-20 minute a day practice schedule...

Learn to play songs.
Learn the scales. especially the minor pentatonic, all the positions.
Learn how chords are constructed from the scales.
Don't be afraid to sing , you do get better at it the more you do it.
Most importantly though learn to play songs.

Yeah play songs. You get a sense of achievement. Build those scabs up on your fingertips.

Considered lessons? I never took lessons, but looking back on it part of me wishes I had, so that I'd not picked up bad habits.

Well I started lessons a while back, but due to my lack of practice, they became rather a waste of money! It wasn't the fault of my teacher, as he was very good, simply that I didn't practice in the two weeks between each session - thus meaning we spent 40 mins of every hour going over basics again!

I'll get some scales printed out and have a go at working through them - by far the biggest struggle for me is changing chords.

Check out <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.justinguitar.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.justinguitar.com/</a><!-- m --> .In my opinion this is the best resource for learning guitar on the web , all his lessons are free and available on youtube.
What guitar do you have ?

What you have to remember, is that there are no short cuts when learning to play an instrument. You need to put the time in, and if you manage your practice time it doesn't have to be a great deal per day.

10 minutes a day is better than 40 minutes every 4 days, and try and split your pratice time into chunks, for example, if you have half an hour, use 10 mins for scales, 10 mins for chords and 10 minutes working on a song.

I can recommend this book:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Minute-Guit...=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1265710421&sr=1-2

Ian

henkverhaar said:
Pig Cat said:
A while back I could play a mean saxophone!! :cool:

Mean as in, it was considered mean to force anyone to listen to it?

:D

Actually I also played a 'meme' saxophone. My improvisations evolved through natural selection and people that heard me would replicate my melodies within their own compositions. :geek:

Hah. On a slighly oblique note, was listening to the radio yesterday (Classical station as usual) and heard a feature about an Austrian or Swiss ensemble that plays 'vegetable' instruments, such as a carrot clarinet (assuming this is a hollowed giant carrot with a clarinet mouthpiece...), onion viol (or violin), carrot and sweet pepper trumpet, etc.

They played a track on the radio featuring two carrot clarinets that sounded quite good actually. Intonation was off for one or two notes, and the range appeared limited, but overall, it could easily pass for a chalumeau...

Back
Top Bottom