another hone id

I think this item might be mis described as said to be Arkansas stone but also says glued to other stone?
stoneid.jpg

So is either a Washita but dont know why someone would glue one of them to other stone or something else much better I know what I think but dont want to make a ass (again)

Also is 150mm by 40mm the size of the stone. box is bigger

Looks a bit coticule-ish to me, but difficult to tell owing to the colour cast on the picture.

I intend to get involved with honing myself, but I'm not going to shell out for stones and tools until I'm 100% happy with using a straight.

Ian

Your right its not the best colour in the world in the picture. I thought couticule due to the shape colour and fact it is backed, well bought it now so will know for sure when it arrives. :roll:

Hope it is been looking for one of these to have a play with :D

pedro083 said:
Your right its not the best colour in the world in the picture. I thought couticule due to the shape colour and fact it is backed, well bought it now so will know for sure when it arrives. :roll:

Certainly looks like a yellow coticule to me, although I have heard of two different arkansas stones being glued together - rare though.

If you are lucky (not that you would be unlucky if it was two different arkansas stones - could be worth a fair bit) the backing will be a blue whetstone rather than just a piece of slate. Sods law says its a piece of slate, though!

Regards,
Neil

Neil Miller said:
pedro083 said:

Certainly looks like a yellow coticule to me, although I have heard of two different arkansas stones being glued together - rare though.

If you are lucky (not that you would be unlucky if it was two different arkansas stones - could be worth a fair bit) the backing will be a blue whetstone rather than just a piece of slate. Sods law says its a piece of slate, though!

Regards,
Neil

Well will let you all know what it is when it arrives(by this i mean take more pics so you can all tell me). whatever it turns out to be will be happy unless it turns out to be a paper weight

It looks too pale and evenly coloured for a Washita to me, which is no bad thing. If it is an Arkansas rather than a coticule (which it certainly resembles), my money would be on a soft white. If you're very lucky, the other side might be hard black. Mind you, a schist backed coticule would be a good find as well :D

Right it arrived. It is a coticule dont know what it is backed with.
We have a problem though as when soaking in hot water to remove from box the coticule part came into two parts, a existing crack that when separated you can see has been like this for a while. I have heard about filling cracks on them with beeswax and coticule dust, but should I do this before or after I glue it back to its backing?

20110112_005.jpg

20110112_001.jpg

20110112_003.jpg

20110112_004.jpg

The bluish side looks purple when wet and raises a slurry same color as stone.

Any advice welcomed

I would glue it to the backing first lightly cramping it to keep the cracked edges together in perfect alignment, let it set, then lap it. If it is hard to feel with your fingernail and the razor passes over the crack with no issues then don't worry about it. If you do feel the need to use beeswax and coticule powder (Rob at Ardennes Coticule does this) then warm up the stone so that the wax goes right down into the crack. Lap again when it has gone hard.

Definitely a BBW, by the way.

Regards,
Neil

Back
Top Bottom