Another grinder thread!!

Hi All

Now that our house is back to normal after lots of work, I want to start using the Gaggia classic again (I was using some reground illy or lavazza coffee with it to this point).

Now I like espresso and she likes Americano, but she never makes them - too much faff for her she says, but is always more than up for one if I make 'em. So anyway, taken the Gaggia back out of storage, cleaned it and its ready - then I start reading about grinders etc.

It was my orinignal intention when I bought the classic, to get an Iberital MC2 but that was a few years ago (predating here and other 'hobbies', now Im not so sure - I don't want anything with a massive footprint, don't want it to be kept out on show (mostly a swift cup in morning and weekends), so I am also now reticent to spank out £130 for one as well - Ie just got more things to spend my money on now and its not at that wave of I need one priority anymore.

So I have been looking at the lower end: mainly a porlex or a modded Delonghi KG79.

I know some of you have the porlex, how long would it take to sort out two double shots worth? Is it a killer? Will I just get fed up with it and then not use it?

Anyone used the delonghi? Mixed reviews everywhere from saying its poor for espresso to saying its ok after a mod etc. I know its cheap as chips for a grinder but would I, the 'I like espresso and just want a nice cup rather than chase top end' kind of person I am feel its pants?

I would eventually like to sort the Gaggia to run with a non pressurinsed filter so also need to buy a basket and maybe do the wand swap and get a tamper - essentially tbh I don't want to spend £200 to get all this just for the sake of it with upgradeitits etc as I already have this issue with this forum and home-brew on that front!

Any input would be welcome.

Hodda said:
Hi All

Now that our house is back to normal after lots of work, I want to start using the Gaggia classic again (I was using some reground illy or lavazza coffee with it to this point).

Now I like espresso and she likes Americano, but she never makes them - too much faff for her she says, but is always more than up for one if I make 'em. So anyway, taken the Gaggia back out of storage, cleaned it and its ready - then I start reading about grinders etc.

It was my orinignal intention when I bought the classic, to get an Iberital MC2 but that was a few years ago (predating here and other 'hobbies', now Im not so sure - I don't want anything with a massive footprint, don't want it to be kept out on show (mostly a swift cup in morning and weekends), so I am also now reticent to spank out £130 for one as well - Ie just got more things to spend my money on now and its not at that wave of I need one priority anymore.

So I have been looking at the lower end: mainly a porlex or a modded Delonghi KG79.

I know some of you have the porlex, how long would it take to sort out two double shots worth? Is it a killer? Will I just get fed up with it and then not use it?

Anyone used the delonghi? Mixed reviews everywhere from saying its poor for espresso to saying its ok after a mod etc. I know its cheap as chips for a grinder but would I, the 'I like espresso and just want a nice cup rather than chase top end' kind of person I am feel its pants?

I would eventually like to sort the Gaggia to run with a non pressurinsed filter so also need to buy a basket and maybe do the wand swap and get a tamper - essentially tbh I don't want to spend £200 to get all this just for the sake of it with upgradeitits etc as I already have this issue with this forum and home-brew on that front!

Any input would be welcome.

Don't do the Delonghi. You'd be better off with another tin of Lavazza and setting fire to the other £20 to keep warm. Seriously :s

Ignore the happy reviews from those that don't know what they don't know - the 'burrs' are just not up to anything at all pics here http://www.amazon.co.uk/DeLonghi-KG79-Professional-Burr-Grinder/dp/B002OHDBQC I

Hand grinding is just not sustainable for espresso in my view - I have a small collection of hand grinders and even a cafetiere or V60 dose is hard going at times when they are pressed into service.

Do the Classic justice it's a great wee machine. If you are the sort that does things 'right' shaving/brewing etc and going to do proper basket/filter and steam wand stuff the MC2 is not at all overkill and with some fresh beans it will keep you happy for many years if you can avoid further obsession. It's not that big either next to the Classic can you not leave it on the bench?

My advice fwiw - head on over to happydonkey.co.uk - plonk down credit card get MC2, add new filter handle and brew basket to shopping cart, and start thinking about where you can get some fresh beans to enjoy a deliciously caffeinated weekend. HTH!

If its brewed coffee you like Aldi are selling a filter machine with built in grinder on Thursday
I have got a porlex tall grinder
But I have never ground for espresso with it
The haugrind by knock gets good reveiws
Also the rhino hand grinder which is availanle from coffee hit

Sorry for the typos hands are cold

A Rhino hand grinder with an aeropress and fresh beans will giveyou a very palatable cup of coffee.

I have bought many things over the years I have regretted spending quite so much on, including shaving and Home Brew kit.

I have never regretted buying my Iberital MC2 Auto grinder or the unpressurised baskets for my Gaggia Classic. I drink Espresso and Americano and that Grinder was a marvellous investment.

As you mention that you like Espresso, and your wife likes Americano, I can't really see the point in doing the wand swap, the original is not perfect by any means, but as you don't use it on a regular basis I wouldn't bother. I still have the original Gaggia wand on mine and it works for the few times I use it, which is only when we have guests.

I'm not really gonna be much help here...but I'll offer a couple of thoughts if I may. Tell me to do the other thing by all means :)

Irrespective of the type of coffee you like it has always seemed (looking at the numerous dedicated coffee forums all round the world) that you need/must/should always place as much, if not MORE, importance on the grinder, than the machine.

I'm currently use a domestic/light trade Nuova Simonelli Oscar. Have used for six years, daily making two cups of cappaccino once or twice per day. I started off with a Classic and it's still in the loft in case the Oscar ever broke down. The Oscar has NEVER needed anything other than routine maintenance and is a lovely machine...a lot easier to use than the Classic. But that's neither here nor there.

I'm getting round to saying that it wasn't all that cheap but has stood the test of time, and in the same way ...so has my Rancilio Rocky grinder. Six years and utterly faultless. I bought new grinder blades for it recently and when it came to swapping them it was apparent that they really didn't need changing. It's an absolute beast in terms of build quality and motor performance and it has ground nicely for all that time and will, I feel sure, keep going a lot longer.

I'm just saying that IF you can get something that has a proven background and reputation for reliability you might end up spending less in the long term. The grinder is £220/£230 (Mine came from Drury in London...a lovely old fashioned firm). My Oscar came from a retailer in Italy...it was cheaper that way.

Some of the American forums are very enthusiastic..to a severe degree and recommend even better machines, but you might want to give it a look.

The other name for reasonably priced, decent, machines which enthusiasts keep on about is Baratza. Have a look. Check Home Barista along with some of the other serious forums and you'll get a good idea of what's recommendable and what isn't.

Hope to have been of some small help.

DevonStan said:
I'm not really gonna be much help here...but I'll offer a couple of thoughts if I may. Tell me to do the other thing by all means :)

Irrespective of the type of coffee you like it has always seemed (looking at the numerous dedicated coffee forums all round the world) that you need/must/should always place as much, if not MORE, importance on the grinder, than the machine.

I'm currently use a domestic/light trade Nuova Simonelli Oscar. Have used for six years, daily making two cups of cappaccino once or twice per day. I started off with a Classic and it's still in the loft in case the Oscar ever broke down. The Oscar has NEVER needed anything other than routine maintenance and is a lovely machine...a lot easier to use than the Classic. But that's neither here nor there.

I'm getting round to saying that it wasn't all that cheap but has stood the test of time, and in the same way ...so has my Rancilio Rocky grinder. Six years and utterly faultless. I bought new grinder blades for it recently and when it came to swapping them it was apparent that they really didn't need changing. It's an absolute beast in terms of build quality and motor performance and it has ground nicely for all that time and will, I feel sure, keep going a lot longer.

I'm just saying that IF you can get something that has a proven background and reputation for reliability you might end up spending less in the long term. The grinder is £220/£230 (Mine came from Drury in London...a lovely old fashioned firm). My Oscar came from a retailer in Italy...it was cheaper that way.

Some of the American forums are very enthusiastic..to a severe degree and recommend even better machines, but you might want to give it a look.

The other name for reasonably priced, decent, machines which enthusiasts keep on about is Baratza. Have a look. Check Home Barista along with some of the other serious forums and you'll get a good idea of what's recommendable and what isn't.

Hope to have been of some small help.

The Oscar is agreat machine, really consistent results from it and is a fantastic machine in between a Silvia/Classic and the £1k machines.

I think the only reason its not more popular is the availability here and the fact the body is ABS and not metal. Great machine though.

All the advice on grinders is good. Its the most important part of the equation for me. You can get improvements in your coffee if you pair a decent grinder with a classic. The ones mentioned here - MC2 is a good choice, popular with beginners.

I'd shy away from the Baratzas unless you are into brewed coffee. The reality is that you will get only 1 or 2 possible settings (as its stepped) which will work, and you will go from too coarse to choking the machine in a couple of clicks.

Get one of the grinders mentioned with the micro adjustment worm screw and it will last you a long long time.

Back
Top Bottom