Android to IOS

My trusted Moto mobile is about to snuff it. Looking around at phones. Excepting a weekend use of an Iphone some 8 years ago or so - I have not used IOS.

I appreciate its subjective - but, is IOS and the iphone worth a punt? Not materialistic, so not after the latest phone. Wondering if it is worth getting an older Iphone XR or 11 as a starter? I guess the battery life & the ongoing support is factor to consider.

Th highly rated Google Pixel 6a new, is the same price as a refurbished iphone. Keep an eye on these too.

Thanks, Richard

IOS is good, but imo Android has become really polished and sophisticated since about ver 8.

I use both and prefer Android. I think you need to buy fully into the Apple system of phone, tablet and MacOS devices to see any real benefit, as the whole system is more integrated.
Thank you. Not thought about wider integration, and not something that's not for me.

I've been a mac user professionally (and therefore also my own laptop) since computers were beige boxes with floppy drives and still using them, but somehow I ended up on android for phone just because of the price of iPhone. There are times I think to myself it would've been easier as a mac user to stay in the apple ecosystem but from what I've seen, I think I'm happier on android and I can suffer the slight clunkiness of syncing via Dropbox or OneDrive. I'm no power user of android, not into all that jailbreaking and what have you. I only buy a decent mobile because the security updates keep coming for longer (4 years for Galaxy S range). I don't care to impress people with latest tech, couldn't care less for that but the idea of doing my banking etc on a device that was end of support worries me. I try to pick up a "last year's flagship" when they go on sale when superceded, then keep it for until the security updates stop coming.

I would never buy an Apple phone. So many people have told me that they love their iphones, but have to buy the next model because they don't have enough memory. You can't upgrade them and there is no microSD slot.
You can buy an Android, for £100 or less, which takes microSD up to 512 GB - enough for every piece of music I like to hear.
When the phone breaks or dies I buy another, and take the microSD out of the old one and put it in the new one. Simple.
I use the Android phone for phoning people, texting, but mainly as a portable music collection. I never use it for internet. I have computers for that.

My trusted Moto mobile is about to snuff it. Looking around at phones. Excepting a weekend use of an Iphone some 8 years ago or so - I have not used IOS.

I appreciate its subjective - but, is IOS and the iphone worth a punt? Not materialistic, so not after the latest phone. Wondering if it is worth getting an older Iphone XR or 11 as a starter? I guess the battery life & the ongoing support is factor to consider.

Th highly rated Google Pixel 6a new, is the same price as a refurbished iphone. Keep an eye on these too.

Thanks, Richard
iPhones are great, and the easiest phones to use. The iPhone 11 does seem to have an annoying glitch in it where the memory keeps filling up, though it’s actually the cache that isn’t clearing, and the only way to sort it out is to back everything up and then reset it. So I wouldn’t recommend one of those, or an old iPhone as it’ll not work brilliantly. The main issue with iPhones is the cost, and it is a lot for a phone. But they have a reputation for being the best for a reason, and that’s because they are, and that’s why they can charge daft money for them. One option that’s possible is if you know someone who gets through a lot of iPhones through consistently getting the latest one is to ask them nicely if you could have one of their older phones, or offer them a few quid for one. You’d be surprised how many people have a pile of older iPhones kicking around at home!

I prefer Android by a country mile, but I have heard that if an iPhone battery gives up the ghost they’ll replace it for free.

Wouldn’t tempt me though. By sticking to the 30-90% rule my battery is still good after well over 4 years.

Iv had the iphone since the first one came out,
The wife prefers the samsung.
Having played with both
( excuse the pun )
i’m an iphone man all the way.
Also i had windows laptops for years and the wife convinced me to get an Macbook,
I never wanted one due to the cost as mostly i wanted a laptop to watch movies when abroad however i decided to get one in 2017 and i never looked back.
IOS is superb it does everything i want it to do.
everything Apple is simple.
Get a new phone add email address & bingo everything is transferred in the blink of an eye.

I prefer Android by a country mile, but I have heard that if an iPhone battery gives up the ghost they’ll replace it for free.

Wouldn’t tempt me though. By sticking to the 30-90% rule my battery is still good after well over 4 years.
Iv never ever had an iphone battery give up the ghost but yes you are correct they will replace it.
I spilled a coffee over my macbook & that was also repaired for free

I’ve had android phones most of the time, but my current one is an iphone . To be honest - I prefer it. Got also MacBook so it’s nice to have stuff synchronised between them two , despite using windows most of my life.

I’d say once I switched and got used to the system , it is better, more comfortable to use, and quicker imo. Over time on androids I always seemed to get some issues / slowing down etc but nothing as such (touch wood) so far on the iphone. My model is Xs max, so certainly not the newest one .. probably had it for 2ish years now

memory storage isn’t really a big issue to me , if I get too many photos, I then back them up / move to hard drive etc - just had a look and mine has 256gb storage overall, from which I have 191gb still available - so honestly plenty. Mostly use it for banking , internet browsing when on the go, notes, photo editing, music listening etc… so kinda all around type of stuff. Pretty happy with it all to be fair .

Back
Top Bottom