And now for something completely different...

Fido said:
I have no wish to hijack this thread but to continue the discussion about moving away from traditional handles in an appealing way.

I have old and new bells, some of which have been made for me by Whitechapel Bell Foundry in London. The guy who makes small bells there has wood turning skills available. I asked him to come up with ideas that moved away from more traditional styles of handle. These photos show one traditional and the two that appear in the earlier post. I will post one more below. The bells are mediaeval cup bells - a true marriage of old and new! It is great to innovate and try new approaches so good luck to anyone who can help create even finer works of art. Which is just what a shaving brush should be.

Everytime i look at this post, the little smutty grey cells start working overtime with thoughts of Fido looking lovingly at his collection thinking about the optimum "Bell End" for a shaving brush..............sorry Fido.

I'm leaving now.......
:oops: :oops:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I like bells to look like bells. And I like shaving brushes to look like, well, shaving brushes. There must be scope for innovation in brush handles. But they must be comfortable to hold as well as pleasing to look at.

Fido said:
I like bells to look like bells. And I like shaving brushes to look like, well, shaving brushes. There must be scope for innovation in brush handles. But they must be comfortable to hold as well as pleasing to look at.

I quite like the idea of a stainless steel brush handle with knurling, Like you get on the Ikon Razors, and with a screw in thread for the Knot itself, then you just screw in a new knot when the old one has worn, or just to change preference from bristle to badger, super badger etc but with same brush handle.

Steve

Fido, those bells are quite something. Not my "something" to be sure, but pretty amazing.

You actually commission one-off's from Whitechapel? Impressive. I've worked in churches with lesser rings than that.

I don't wish to change the original subject of this thread but to respond to a couple of points - It has taken about 15 years to put together my collection. The most expensive was my Pompey bell which Whitechapel made for me to mark the FA Cup win last year - about £940. Quite a few cost well over £250. I have sold quite a few. Nearly all for more than I paid. I could fill the house with cheap bells. Don't see the point in that. Nearly all my bells come from famous foundries and/or have a notable history. It has been great fun. My blogs attract a lot of interest and generate regular enquiries from far flung places around the world. As to the total cost. I don't keep detailed records. Too vulgar.
Whitechapel Bell Foundry is amazing. It is the oldest British company having been established in 1570. Go to the foundry and step back in time. Lovely people there.

Pretty well stopped spending on bells now. No more room. So can afford the odd pot of extra shaving cream.

If we want to bring the shaving brush up to date, it might be possible to get a chinese factory to make a batch of heated brush handles, using Li-ion batteries and induction charging. If you got the glue right, it could keep your lather warm too.

Bringing shaving brushes up to date? Now if only we could somehow get instant lather whenever we wanted.... and it could be stored somehow for ease of use..... wouldn't that be amazing ;)

tewdric said:
If we want to bring the shaving brush up to date, it might be possible to get a chinese factory to make a batch of heated brush handles, using Li-ion batteries and induction charging. If you got the glue right, it could keep your lather warm too.

Just feed the Badger with curry for a few months.

henkverhaar said:
neocaligatio said:
Bringing shaving brushes up to date? Now if only we could somehow get instant lather whenever we wanted.... and it could be stored somehow for ease of use..... wouldn't that be amazing ;)

How about this: http://depatisnet.dpma.de:80/Depati...tent=treffer&action=pdf&docid=GB000002377367A

Something is very wrong with that...... surely you could forego the aerosol properties if the brush head was attached and just use a pumped cream? Hmm.... maybe a brush with a threaded adapter to allow a tube of palmolive to be screwed into the back and squirted through the bristles?? :D

neocaligatio said:
maybe a brush with a threaded adapter to allow a tube of palmolive to be screwed into the back and squirted through the bristles?? :D

That would work, but would probably be very inconvenient to hold. Unless you could actually hide a small squeezable or pumpable reservoir in the handle.

That is probably also why this contraption had an aerosol container: using the thing to actually face lather would be inconvenient, so you only use the brush to paint on the preformed lather? Ever wonder why this patent was never put out onto the market?
:twisted:

Back
Top Bottom