Alum

Just curious as to wether you wash it off or leave it on after applying. I have read on another forum that someone applys it then washes it off. Eh? Why apply it if you are going to wash it off. Better spend your money on something else. Any thoughts on this (the applying of alum, that is).

Its done its job within 30 sec of being applied. It is designed to close the pores up after shaving. once there closed i just wash if off with cold water. Not hot or you open the pores again.

Yeah, I made the mistake of leaving it on, since my train of thought was the same.. but it leaves a pulling/tight sensation on my skin, I wash it off with cold water, before applying ASB & AS.
I usually, apply it, rince razor, put away soap, tidy up a bit, and then wash it off, usually 2-3 minutes.

FB.

FrenchBlade said:
Yeah, I made the mistake of leaving it on, since my train of thought was the same.. but it leaves a pulling/tight sensation on my skin, I wash it off with cold water, before applying ASB & AS.
I usually, apply it, rince razor, put away soap, tidy up a bit, and then wash it off, usually 2-3 minutes.

FB.

Eek :shock:

You been spying on me? ;)

heroblob said:
Its done its job within 30 sec of being applied. It is designed to close the pores up after shaving. once there closed i just wash if off with cold water. Not hot or you open the pores again.

I agree that it's mostly done its job after say 30 to 60 seconds. However, the job is not to close pores but to disinfect cuts and to stop (microscopic) bleeding by acting as astringent (denaturing proteins, which closes nicks and induces bloodclotting).

Having said that, there is something to be said for leaving (some of) it on. What I do is, I apply alum to wet face, then dry face with towel; this will remove most but not all alum.

I do the same as most here, shave, cold water splash, apply Alum and then tidy up the shave kit and another followed by a cold water splash, I then apply Witch Hazel and/or after shave.

I used to leave it on with no ill effects probably because I was using the Witch Hazel not long after, however one day I got distracted by some domestic crisis and left the alum on for a good 10-15 minutes while I sorted it out, with no following Witch Hazel or AS my skin felt really dry and tight so this lead me to just have a quick splash before I leave the bathroom.

Try it both ways and see what suits you better, there is no right or wrong other than it does need to say on for a minute or two to do it's job.

The key with alum for shaving blocks is to ensure it's Potassium Alum (Ammonium Alum works but stings like bastards)... beyond that it's all down to packaging, branding and the crystalline structure of the block - chemically they're the same from a 50p block from an Indian grocers to a £15 Trumper's one.

screenshot20101116at111.jpg

Ghetto-fabulous. I'll stock up on a few.. as well as some curry powder :lol:

Back
Top Bottom