Alum, witchhazel, aftershave, do they all do the same thing?

I've been de shaving for a couple of months now and my usual routine is shave, cold water rinse then rub round with an alum block before having a shower, after the shower I usually apply some proraso pre/post shaving cream because I like the effect and occasionally some aftershave balm but I use the balm a lot less now as I don't feel I need it (either my technique has improved or my skin has adapted).
I have witchhazel but don't use it and some old aftershaves which have been knocking round the house for years, I'm not keen on the effect of these as seem to add heat to my face but I have some proraso aftershave on order.
My questions are if I use aftershave can I dispense with the alum? or when I use the alum do I need aftershave? Does the witchhazel have any properties the others don't have?

So 2 votes for witch hazel so far, I'm going to need something nicer smelling than the medicinal witch hazel I have for that to be regularly used by me. Having said that I don't want something to heavily scented.

Add another one for Watch Hazel. It has some wonderful natural properties including astringent and blemish removal. The smell might not to be everyone's taste but soon goes leaving a good platform to take aftershaves or EDT's etc. I can't recall my skin being in better condition. Cost wise a big saving.

I mostly use witch hazel followed by aftershave or cologne... Usually the former but sometimes the latter if I fancy a change. When I started back in January I also used an alum block (after shaving but before the witch hazel), In the end I found it did more harm than good causing irritation and dryness so I ditched it.

Alum block gives me half a day's worth of red face and witch hazel also is no good for me. So I stick with aftershave which has a fresh effect on my skin after an initial short term burning sensation.

Thanks for everyone's replies so far, I get on fine with the alum block but looking forward to trying the proraso aftershave when it arrives (which also contains witch hazel). The main reason I wanted the proraso was because I love the menthol of their pre/post shave cream which I mainly use now post shave. Will give that a try for a while and maybe look at getting some thayers witch hazel to try later on.
Am I correct in the thinking that I only need to use one of these products (alum, aftershave or witch hazel) per shave?

I've been using Thayers witch hazel with aloe vera at the end of the shave after a cold water splash. It soothes the face, soothes any irritation and makes my skin feel super smooth all day. Been using it for about 2 months. No need to use anything else in the summer. It's been a game changer for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Witch Hazel for me. Budget brand from any chemist loaded into a little pump spray bottle which was about a quid at Boots. I have come to enjoy the smell and it disappates completely in a minute or two. I have taken to nicking my better half's make up removal cotton swabs (200 for a pound) and swabbing the chin/nose areas for a complete clean off of any residue. I am 94 years old but after doing this for a few weeks, I am now regularly asked for ID when buying alcohol.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk

Am I correct in the thinking that I only need to use one of these products (alum, aftershave or witch hazel) per shave?

Depends. They are all intended for the same purpose, as astringents. They close up the cuts. Alum works better on individual, bigger cuts. You have a weeper, it stops the bleeding rather quick.
All of these can dry out your skin, especially alcohol-based after shaves. You might enjoy an aftershave-free balm lotion more if that's the case.

I stopped using alum when I stopped getting weepers and irritation. I also don't use aftershave every time I shave. I sometimes like the alcohol or menthol kick, but if it happens to like a soap scent, I'll just use water.

For me - when the redness comes, nothing works better than a fresh aloe leaf cut along it's length and smeared over the area and allowed to dry. Sounds like a hippy tree hugging solution but it works and the plants are as easy as a cactus to keep alive.
I haven't tried witch hazel since I was a nipper when my mum used to dab it on my grazed knees.

Sounds like a rich hippy tree hugging solution

There, fixed it. Yea, I'm just gonna start up my aloe vera plantation, so I can cut a leaf after shaves. Your knees were grazed for riding the ponies, or from chasing the house help around the mansion?

I always found aloe vera as a placebo more than anything. It's the new aspirin of the last 20 years. Everyone is putting aloe vera on everything. Got a burn? Aloe vera! Got your limb cut? Aloe will grow another one. It seems like something that people put on creams just not to call them "creamy water".

There, fixed it. Yea, I'm just gonna start up my aloe vera plantation, so I can cut a leaf after shaves. Your knees were grazed for riding the ponies, or from chasing the house help around the mansion?

Very odd reply ! I've never paid a penny for aloe plants, I think I was given one in a church fayre. They are dirt cheap. They grow quickly and I don't always get irritaion so it's not like I'm pruning it every shave. Also a massive incorrect assumption on my upbringing but thanks for the trolling. Made me smile.

I started with Alum, went to Witch Hazel and then progressed to after shave. My skin has never been in better condition since. I don't use alum anymore nor witch hazel as I'm enjoying the after shave so much.
I often put after shave on between shaves and it's got a great cooling effect into the bargain.

Back
Top Bottom