Alum question

Hi all,

I finally got my alum blocks. From a Indian barbers for the grand sum of £1!

I have a question though, once I apply after my cold rinse, do I rinse the alum off or just dry my face?

Dipesh

Following advice from another member I leave it on my face whilst I clean up my shaving gear, then I rinse again with cold water.
I think that alum has got to be one of my best buys so far :D

Some people leave it on, others rinse it off after a minute or two. Try both ways and see which works best for you, if either. I found it didn't do much for me, so don't use it in my routine.

as i shave in the shower... i'd usually apply the alum, then go about showering the rest of myself, leaving a final face rinse for last to wash off the alum residue.

however, i found that alum just irritated me and did no real good. The more i learn myself, ive realised my face responds best to pretty much nothing. I leave it alone till its well dry then put some moisturiser on. Other products just end up irritating me. Even balms.

I found that I was using Alum because my shaving technique wasn't good enough - I used it to calm the irritation after a bad shave, in other words.

Like Fido, I have focused on the cause of the problem (me!), and I now find that I don't need it because I am getting irritation - and cut - free shaves. YMMV, obviously.

I am, however, glad to have Alum in my armoury - just in case! :D

Lipsy

I apply the alum, let it sit whilst I dry the block and put it away, and then rinse it off. It works better this way for me than leaving it on.

Ian

Thanks chaps, I've just been and done the rinse of thing and see how it goes. No sting, just a ever so slight tingle.

My main reason for alum is not to reduce irritation, it's more for my spot prone skin. I'm hoping the alum goodness will help resolve this issue.

Thanks again all!

I leave it on but I have oily skin and that's why I think it isn't particularly drying for me. I use it every day, but it may be that its just habit.

I leave it for a couple of minutes while I clean up my kit, then rinse off, pat dry, and apply balm.

Lovely stuff... I don't particularly care what it does / doesn't achieve for the skin, I just love the little "crackling" sensation as it's rubbed on to open pores. It's a strangely satisfying end to a shave.

hi dipesh.... i may be able to be of assistance here.

I too have spot prone skin. Annoying as i reach my 30th year to still be having these kinds of issues, but nonetheless ive had it since i was about 15 and as such its been a huge learning curve to keep them at bay.

Ive found witch hazel is my friend. A good splash of witch hazel after a shower or a shave, really helps to de-grease the skin, tone the surface of it, and it acts as an antiseptic to keep away the spots. It's not fool proof, but since switching to a good quality face soap (clinique for men, and TOBS jermyn) and finishing up with a good healthy application of witch hazel. that my skin quality has much much improved.

The alum did nothing but make mine worse.

heres the witch hazel i use. Comes in a huge bottle, its dead cheap and works well as an aftershave splash. You could even fragrance it if you wanted:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.amazon.co.uk/STRICTLY-PROFESSIONAL-WITCH-HAZEL-500ML/dp/B003AY5I6O/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1294578312&sr=8-5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.amazon.co.uk/STRICTLY-PROFES ... 312&sr=8-5</a><!-- m -->

Thanks Shrink. Its nice to meet someone with the same problem.

I just get a odd tiny one around my chin area and it does my head in! Worst thing is, they appear later on in the day after shaving so shaving is definitely the cause.

I've been using Professor Blightys stuff which has witch Hazel and it has made a difference so I think your on to something for sure.

Again, another problem I have is that if I dry out my cheeks/shaved area too much by using something like a splash (alcoholic) it makes my nose area produce too much oil and just feels uncomfortable.

Again, I've been using a balm that Martin has made and it seems to solve these by keeping the balance right on my face.

I'll have a look into Jermyn st soap, I love the smell of the shaving cream so may have to get the set!

yep sounds like you have the same issue as me... dry cheeks and forehead, and yet oily nose and chin area. I break out around the chin now and then. But i do keep it under control these days.

my advice is this:

wash with a reasonably natural sensitive soap. Rather than a liquid face wash, or shower gel. I used to use clinique soap, but moved to TOBS sensitive because its cheaper, uses nothing but natural vegetable extracts, and leaves my skin feeling soft. Plus, like you, I adore the smell of the jermyn range.

shave with a good quality cream.... ive found TOBS jermyn works best for me, but you'll want to experiment and find what works for you. The truefitt and hill extreme comfort lubricates well and moisturises as it goes. Just dont get anything heavilly scented or coloured.

I'd say skip the alum (but of course, i'm not you, and you may find it works for you) and pat your face dry following a shave. Let the skin settle, dry for a few mins and then apply the witch hazel as a toner/splash. I get a good amount in my hands and work it all over the face. Witch hazel is intended as an astringent and facial toner, so it will help cut down on the grease across your nose if you make sure you apply it well to this area.

Following this, i apply a simple, non scented moisturiser to my cheeks, forehead and neck area. This routine has managed to keep my skin well under control.

The other thing i would suggest, is switching to shaving every second day. I find my spots stay away if i dont try to shave every single day.

another tip... i sometimes carry around, a small atomiser filled with witch hazel. If you find your skin getting oily during the course of the day, a quick spray of the witch hazel and a rub into the skin, will cut down on the oil and leave you feeling dry and soft again.

i'm dying to try the TOBS jermyn moisturising cream but at £20 for 100ml, its a slightly tough pill to swallow for the sake of trying it out. But i've been very impressed with the rest of the range. My only disappointment is that they dont do the matching cologne. St James has some of the same notes on the dry down, but its not the same. Mr Taylor is supposed to be closer, so i'm waiting on that.

At the moment i use "simple "for men" hydrating daily moisturiser" its available in boots and is reasonably priced, yet its not oily like the nivea moisturisers. It leaves my skin feeling moisturised without feeling greasy and heavy. if the jerymn cream could do the same, but with the smell i love, Id be a happy man

Back
Top Bottom