Alum - How do you use yours?

Been trying alum now for a week or so.
There seems to be two schools of thought when using it one is to apply it and leave it on. The other is to apply, clean up your shaving stuff and then wash it off before applying splash and/or balm.

I found the first approach really dried out my face and I felt like David Guest :shock: The 2nd approach didn't seem to make the alum as effective. So I now apply it, let it evaporate for a minute or two but not dry out completely then apply aftershave splash, leave that for a minute or two as well and then apply balm. This so far has worked better for me and has stopped my skin feeling really dried out but still has the benefit of alum.

How do use yours?

Rinse face with warm water after the shave, rinse with cold water then wet the alum block and rub over face. Leave for a minute then pat dry with a towel. Then AS/ASB.

Cold water rinse after shave. Rub alum block over face and leave to work while brushing teeth. Then further cold water rinse, dry face and apply ASB.
Another question Guys, do you use both AS and ASB together ? If so, to what effect ?

I use warm water on my face after the shave, then rub alum all over face and on neck, leave it for a few mins then use lots of cold water to rinse it off.
Dab face with a towel then use ASB. I dont get my face dry, but dont leave it really wet.
Seems to work for me.

I use AS to give me that little zing after the shave (and to smell good) and I will use a balm just to make sure my skin doesnt go too tight or dry out.

1gear said:
I use warm water on my face after the shave, then rub alum all over face and on neck, leave it for a few mins then use lots of cold water to rinse it off.
Dab face with a towel then use ASB. I dont get my face dry, but dont leave it really wet.
Seems to work for me.

Same here, this works best for me.

Warm water rinse to get most of the soap traces off, then a cold water rinse before applying the alum block. Leave it on whilst I tidy up / wash brush & razor, then another cold water rinse followed by applying an AS Balm.

I found that leaving the alum on left my face dry and tight, and lessened the effects of the mositurising balms.

I purchased my Alum at Trumpers (wish I didn't as it was more expensive, but got some free samples, so swings and roundabouts). Anyway, I asked the guy the best way to apply. He said to rub on the face after cold rinse, leave face to air dry, then apply skin food then moisteriser.

Currently I use it on my armpits, and works really well as a deodorant.

andyjreid said:
Rinse face with warm water after the shave, rinse with cold water then wet the alum block and rub over face. Leave for a minute then pat dry with a towel. Then AS/ASB.
+1 don't find my face dry or tight, have been using an ASB but went without once last week and didn't really miss it. I think its just a case find what works for you.

I only use my Alum if I've got a weeper that doesn't stop with my cold water rinse but isn't a nick that would need styptic. My alum us getting on for 3 years old and shows very little wear (except where I dropped it and knocked off a chunk :oops: )

Finish shave, warm rinse, cold rinse, Alum if needed, styptic if needed and leave to air dry (brush teeth, clean sink, brush, razor, etc), another cold rinse if alum/styptic used then apply a little ASB to damp face, let air dry, apply a generous amount of ASB with a couple of splashes of AS mixed in so I get the fragrance with no sting.

Yanner my guess is that most Alum blocks go that way. Instead of being used completely we drop them and they smash. Mine is missing 2 corners.

Fido said:
I have found a razor/blade combo that ensures I never get any irritation. My alum block is redundant at present. When I used it, I rinsed off before applying after shaves.

well come on don't be shy and keep your secret to yourself :D

Back
Top Bottom