Alum blocks

The "posh" ones have a finer crystal structure generally and aren't as rough on the face to begin with. The roughness of a cheap one wears off after 1-2 uses.

You'll inevitably drop at least 50% of your alum blocks, so get ready for tears if you spend a tenner on it :D

I got my last ones at the Asian-cash-and-carry-formerly-known-as-Polypack in Norton Park, Embra for something like 60p each. (No idea what it's called now, it's still there and even if I told you it would probably have changed name by the time you got there)

Last week, the 99p shop had potassium alum (120g (if I remember correctly)) for ... yes, 99p.

It was actually something like "Magical Crystal" brand deodorant, but it's the same alum for shaving, as for 'pits and foots'. I personally check the deodorants to see whether they are potassium alum or ammonium alum, but tha's due to my delicate sensitive skin liking the ammonium variety less.

NOTE: I've also grown my own alum bloc... er, ... well, alum lump (about 203g of ugly). I will, in the near(ish) future, try and shape it - at least to remove the sharper points - prior to using it on my skin. Might be just in time as my present alum block finally broke when I dropped it last night. I've dropped it several times, but this was the first big damage done to it.

I've got a Bloc Osma one as well. It had a few fault lines in it and, sure enough, it squirted out of my hand on the second or third use and smashed on the floor. It's now in three pieces but thankfully all are a useable size. True to what Hunnymonster said, the jagged edges created by the fall smoothed down pretty quickly.

I can get these Alum sticks to your door for £5 each in the UK. This "RazoRock" is slightly cheaper than Osma but dearer than the cheap grocers ones. It is 60 grams and comes with a container that has a screw lid. I have been using one since last week and I find the composition of it means it doesn't go glassy smooth like the Osma or the Trumpers one, it retains a light texture which seems to make it feel easier to apply, there is some traction but it is by no means a rough surface.

RazorRock.jpg

The lid snagged it for me, it is really handy. I don't think it is bullet proof but the container incorporated into the design works well to protect it and it feels "safer" in my hand because I am holing a plastic base not not a slippy smooth wet block. The only slightly strange thing I noticed at first is if you are used to using a normal flat Alum block this is more like using a shave stick, but it works well to apply to your face. I know Alum is Alum but I genuinely feel that this composition works better at calming my skin than any other ones I have tried (so far), perhaps I am using less or just that I want to like them but I would recommend them.

Overall for a fiver I think this is a great block, I know someones abacus will probably say they can get ten for that price, drop one every month and still outlast this single £5 block but this is worth it especially for traveling (or at least I think so). If anyone is interested in one let me know as I have some of my original sample set left. I did not get these to make money, I liked it and thought it worth just ordering some on spec.

These samples cost me more than a fiver because of the Airmail but I will absorb the extra cost just to get some out there and some feedback from users to gauge if it is worth ordering some more and then selling then on at cost plus slim margin to cover jiffy bags etc, more of a group buy than a sale, just I don't want to wait for 10-20 people to agree.

If enough people want some I already have the arrangements in place to get more sent over but this will take a few weeks via surface mail, airmail just shoots the costs up too high. PM me if you want one now or post your thoughts on this thread regarding future demand (I have one now but when/if it breaks/wears out would consider this) and I will work out the precise costing with the supplier if needed.

Mods, if this is not appropriate please delete this reply and I will post a new listing in "group buys" or "for sale" section.

Thanks for the responses guys, I now have one left.

Here is a link to the website for more info, <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.razorock.info/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.razorock.info/</a><!-- m -->

All gone very quick, thanks everyone once again.

I will contact the vendor and see what precise numbers I can get. Meantime the samples will go out tomorrow morning first thing so hopefully everyone should have it in the next day or so.

To me it seems worthwhile but I await your feedback to see if you feel they are worth a fiver or not. If so and I do get more I will post a listing for TSR members.

Enjoy the sticks, I think they are great but it really is down to you guys to tell me if I am dreaming. Please just give me your honest feedback and I will see if I can get some for the forum members at a "rock" bottom price...see what I did there....rock...razorock....ok will get my coat.

Cheers.

Hi AudioL,
I was going to say I'd be interested in future order if there is enough demand & you can be bothered to take the trouble for us ; however I'm not sure if that may just encourage you with the truly appaling puns.
Rock on m8 ............. oops, see what I jist did then , scuse all.
JohnnyO.

Thanks, I do think they would be a slow burner rather than a rocket seller hence why it is more of a group buy than a money making exercise, the postage is the killer but no one in Euroland is making anything similar that I could find. Closest is vintage scent who have a 100g "444" stick for ten euros before postage. Would be worthwhile if you were ordering something else but I have tried the "444" in block form and it is as good as Osma or any other block.

In the end I concluded that I like these ones a little bit more more because they have that slight texture to them and the 60g size is ideal for traveling in terms of space taken in the drop kit.

So you like the idea of the stick with a cover, as long as it does not come with dreadful puns?

Hi AudioL,
Yup, the "shave stick" tube definitely makes this an attractive proposition, specially for those of us who travel at all. Seems such a simple idea but, like most simple things is infinitely desireable (take me for example). & feel free to pun away.
JohnnyO.

Audiolab I would be interested purely from the fact that it's in a tube so ideal for travelling. At the moment I'm going to try and get hold of a block at an Asian cash and carry but keep us all posted as I think it will appeal to most. Easier to store as well in bathroom cabinet rather than a wet bar.

Simmo

well picked myself up a Bloc Osma Alum block from ebay...

wasnt sure what to expect, but its a great little thing. wet it after a shave, run it over face. Tiny hint of sting from it at the time, then a cold water splash, and all sting gone, and now no irritation after my shave, and even putting AS on doesnt hurt!!

Some people report a mild rash for a day or two when using Alum at first, especially when used as a deodorant. It seems to go away after a few days for most but for some it is not acceptable. Try it and see how it is for you.

Back
Top Bottom