Alum block plea...

so this might be a good time to ask, is Alum effective and popular as part of the daily ritual? I just got a block today and looking forward to giving it a go.

Every day, some times I don't need it but a shave just seems not complete without one. Last time I dropped one in the floor it shattered but I got two decent small chunks for the travel bag.

DEbest said:
so this might be a good time to ask, is Alum effective and popular as part of the daily ritual? I just got a block today and looking forward to giving it a go.

Not for me, no.

It seems to make any areas where I may have been a little too "enthusiastic" with the razor even more irritated, and leaves my face dry and tight for most of the day.

Whilst it does give you feedback about your shave, it's hardly subtle. A bit like trying to find a cut on your hand by dipping it in a tank of vinegar.

Obviously, this is how it is for me, but you need to try it for yourself.

Ian

Do you leave it on IanM? I did that at first and found the same as you, a dry tight face later in the day. I then tried blocking right after shaving and then leave it for a few mins, then another cold water rinse followed by a balm or mousturiser. This works better for me.

After a cold rinse I apply alum. I used to rinse it off but now I just go over the top with Hazel, AS or AB.

I wouldn't want to leave alum on my chops as the last thing I did in my routine.

Audiolab said:
Do you leave it on IanM? I did that at first and found the same as you, a dry tight face later in the day. I then tried blocking right after shaving and then leave it for a few mins, then another cold water rinse followed by a balm or mousturiser. This works better for me.

That's what I do. Incredibly pleasant tightness after the last cold rinse. :p

Back
Top Bottom